NOBODY WANTS TO FIGHT THE REEM......NOBODY

I was around in Tyson's hayday....Reem isn't even close to being feared as much.

Not only were fighters afraid of Tyson, the fans were too.
You got this sense as he walked out that if you looked at him wrong he'd jump into the crowd, find you and rape your ass.

Reem is a badass for sure but I don't think he's the best MMA HW based on who he has fought.

Try to find ANY recent interview where ANY HW fighter is calling out the champ. It's a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. A flying unicorn. A text message from Zeus himself saying "sup bro?".

The UFC does have the best fighter in every other weight division but they do not have Overeem and he would annihilate every one in the UFC hw division with the same ferocity, power, and technique. He would destroy Brock in under a minute...make that 30 seconds, same goes for Carwin, Nog, Mir. JDS and Cain might get out of the first round but 5minutes is an eternity against a beast that can hurt you and then immediately jumps in for the kill.

sacredhate -

Not only were fighters afraid of Tyson, the fans were too.
Buster Douglas wasn't.

This is pretty simple in my book.  First, let me state I'm an Overeem fan.  He's put on great fights of late whether in K-1 or MMA.  But this isn't about that.  Let's just take a look at his MMA accomplishments:

Overall MMA History: 34-11 MMA record, including 3 losses in a row at LHW in Pride, as well as a KO loss to Kharitonov with his move to HW in late 2007.  He's routinely crumbled against top fighters in the past when pressured, showing a questionable heart and cardio at times.  On the flip side he's shown signs of brilliance in some of his victories, especially of late.

MMA History at HW: In his 9 wins since then (4 in 2008, 3 in 2009, and 2 in 2010) his best win was against Brett Rogers, a fighter with Andrew Arlovski as his only remotely high level win (the AA win basically jumped Rogers from a D or E level fighter to an A level fighter in many fans/medias eyes overnight somehow). His 9 opponents combined records (sans their loss to Alistair) are 116-65.  Hardly stellar competition overall even before you look at the actual fighters on the list (including their own records versus top competition).

MMA Skillset:  If you look at Alistair's skillset he's very well rounded, sans the wrestling aspect.  He's proven this with 14 T(KO)'s and 19 sub's in his wins. Combine this with his continued striking improvements, decent takedown defense, and K-1 success and he has a proven winning formula.

So, considering his full MMA history it shows Alistair has been and on again off again type fighter, with an apparent, at least slight, upswing in the last few years.  But, you need to temper this with the facts above, especially regarding his opponents at HW.  He's been dominant during this 9 fight run, but against fighters who are largely journeyman level or up and comers at best.  His skillset continues to improve so the potential is certainly there to be the best HW.

But, the bottom line is that he just hasn't proven it yet and will struggle to do so without consistant MMA HW fights versus top contenders, whether it be in the UFC (Velasquez, Dos Santos, Carwin, Lesnar, MIr, etc.) or in Strikeforce (Werdum, Emelianenko/Silva winner).  With 3 solids wins over these top fighters in 2011 we could easily see him at/near the top of HW ratings/rankings/division/etc. by the end of the year.

Personally I consider Overeem a solid B level HW at this point, but I could understand those who argue for a low A level.  Nevertheless he just hasn't done enough to solidify his standing as an A level/top fighter universally, let alone the best HW or anything beyond that.  Let's just hope he puts all the potential he has, as well as his improved skillset, to good use this year.

All the new UFC HWs have 1 or maybe 2 good wins.

Look at Carwin's record for example.

EckY -  All the new UFC HWs have 1 or maybe 2 good wins.

don't you work for the UFC?

just curious.

DamnSevern - 
EckY -  All the new UFC HWs have 1 or maybe 2 good wins.

don't you work for the UFC?

just curious.

I would never work in MMA, there is no money in it.

I am simply stating a fact, the guys in the UFC still have to prove themselves to some extent.  People seem to think that just because a guys in the UFC they are elite, regardless of who they have fought.  Carwin had a win over Gonzaga and a bunch of scrubs when he got a title shot and was being marketed as a top 5 fighter.  Cain's best win pre Nog was Kongo.

They are definitely top level fighters but people are overstating things a bit when it comes to the UFC HW division imo, it isnt any better than SF's division.

the guys in the UFC still have to prove themselves to some extent.  People seem to think that just because a guys in the UFC they are elite, regardless of who they have fought.  Carwin had a win over Gonzaga and a bunch of scrubs when he got a title shot and was being marketed as a top 5 fighter.  Cain's best win pre Nog was Kongo.

They are definitely top level fighters but people are overstating things a bit when it comes to the UFC HW division imo, it isnt any better than SF's division.

I agree and would also say if this SF Tourney happens and he takes that, it would have to be as impressive if not more so than Cain demolishing Brock. I'm a fan of Reem and Cain as well. He may not have the ranked wins, but wrecking Duffee in that manner was impressive. Wasn't Duffee touted as a rising star only about 2 fights ago?

TheDream123 -

do the same analysis for UFC HW's please ... you might surprise yourself in that no one is a top ten heavyweight

I already named a handful that have accomplished far more than a comparable win over a Brett Rogers-level fighter.  Did you need more names or what exactly were you looking for with this post?