NY Open Tomorrow

If anyone is going to the NY Open tomorrow, can you post results and commentary after the tournament? Need some eyes and ears over there!

ttt for NY Open.

Don't know how quickly they will provide results but as the Buffalo Springfield say, "For What Its Worth":

www.NewYorkOpenJudo.com

New York Open Report.

100kg
1. Leo Leite Brazil
2. ????????? Brazil
3. Michael Barnes, USA
3. Rhadi Ferguson, USA

This is THE TOUGHEST TOURNAMENT I'VE EVER FOUGHT IN - IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!

I must say that Leo Leite was on fire on Sunday. He was killing everyone with either the right side uchimata or his change up which is left side drop seionage.

My first match I fought a guy from Poland and won by Ippon in the first 45seconds.
My second match was against Mashurenko from the Ukraine. He won a bronze in the 2000 Olympics and is a formere Silver Medallist in the world. From all reports - I am told that our match was to most exciting of the day. The gripping was rough and I rocked Mashurenko several times but I couldn't get him down. I got a stepping out of bounds penalty and got a chui, and I started pushing the pace and Mashurenko got a shido. From there it was balls to the wall judo. I hit Mashurenko in the face with and elbow he was grinding his chin in my eye - it was VISCOUS! I ended up losing chui to shido. I was pissed - if you watch the tape - it looks like I won :-( Needless to say I was tired, but I got a long rest before the repechage. Mashurenko had to fight Leite and Leite was able to throw him for Ippon. Oh, yeah, after the match Mashurenko and I got a standing ovation and a big round of applause from the crowd. That felt great.

Mike Barnes beat his first opponent and then lost to the number #2 player from Poland, Pawel Sitarski. Pawel has won the New York open for the past 2 years str8 and he always places overseas. Mike was in the repechage with me.

My next match was against Guido Lang. He's the national collegiate champion from Penn State. This is my 3rd time fighting him and I hate it. He's about 6' 5 or 6' 6 and very lanky. I won by a chui.

Then I had to fight Steve Edmonds from Canada. Steve was outgripping me at first then I had to get some different instructions from my corner and I ended up throwing Steve for Ippon with and ouchi leg grab.

In the final I fought Pawel Sitarski from Poland. I totally dominated on the grips and was very proud of myself, I stayed on my keys and got him penalized and threw him for a koka. I caught him 3 armbars, but he was able to standup and get to his feet. One time I was surprised he didn't tap! He just shook his are out and went back to work. Well, that was it for me.

Mike Barnes fought Mashurenko in the finals for 3rd. Mashurenko was killing Mike, I mean pulverizing him, but Mike stayed in the game and counter Mashurenko for Ippon.

It was a heluva tournament. Alex Ottiano fought well, but lost in the finals for first. Justin Flores, fought tough, but it seems as if his cutting weight really took a toll on him. I'm not sure how Chuck Jefferson finished up, but I know someone from San Jose in the 81kg division won 3rd place.

EZ take care good people

FERG

Wow! Well done Rhadi!, sounds like you had some fun.
Where there any Australians at the NY open? Also have you played against the aussie rep at 100kg- Kelly or Celoti? thanks alex

wow, awesome report!

Mashurenko (sp?) has moved up to 100kg then from 90kg, man, another strong "Russian" at that weight to go with the guys from Russia and Georgia.

Don't know enough about Judo to give really technical commentary, but I must say Rhadi is correct, this looked like one tough competition. Rhadi vs. Mashurenko rocked!!! HUGE applause from the crowd at the end of this match was well-deserved. Rhadi's leg-grab takedown over Edmonds of Canada was sweeeeet!

Ottiano lost to Mukhtarov (sp?) of Uzbekistan, got thrown for ippon towards the end of the match, couldn't see with what as my view was partly obstructed.

Chuck Jeffreson took first, ippon within a minute or so of his final match. He looked very impressive throughout.

Team competiton saw three teams: USA beat Poland, and in the finals Brazil beat USA.

Rhadi that is great. Congrats! Based on how you did in this shiai I would say you are ready to medal at the world level. Awesome.

ttt for Rhadi!

Nice job.

Thanks Rhadi and sta94!

Just got the results from the judo news list.

RESULTS OF THE NEW YORK OPEN JUDO CHAMPIONSHIP - CORRECTED
MAY 5, 2002 AT THE NEW YORK ATHLETIC CLUB

TEAM COMPETITION
1ST Place: BRAZIL
2ND Place: USA

132-POUND DIVISION (60 KG)
1ST Place: SIMARD, DANIEL CANADA
2ND Place: PENA, VIRGIL ROMANIA
3RD Place: WILL, FRAZIER CANADA
3RD Place: IBANEZ, GONZALO CANADA

145-POUND DIVISION (66 KG)
1ST Place: MUKTAROV, ALISHER UZBEKISTAN
2ND Place: OTTIANO, ALEX USA
3RD Place: FLORES, JUSTIN USA
3RD Place: GALLO, JESUS USA

161-POUND DIVISION (73KG)
1ST Place: JEFFERSON, CHUCK USA
2ND Place: COHEN, RICHARD USA
3RD Place: TREDOWSKI, ROBERT POLAND
3RD Place: MARCEAU, JEAN-FRANCOIS CANADA

178-POUND DIVISION (81 KG)
1ST Place: VELAZCO, GERMAN PERU
2ND Place: BUCURENCIU, OVIDIU ROMANIA
3RD Place: ONGOIBA, SOULEYMANE MALI
3RD Place: COHEN, AARON USA

198-POUND DIVISION (90 KG)
1ST Place: MORGAN, KEITH CANADA
2ND Place: ROBERGE, MAXIME CANADA
3RD Place: SCHILITER, LUIZ BRAZIL
3RD Place: LAMA, GABRIEL CHILE

220 POUND DIVISION (100 KG)
1ST Place: LEITE, LEONARDO BRAZIL
2ND Place: BORGES, CARLOS BRAZIL
3RD Place: FERGUSON, RHADI USA
3RD Place: BARNES, MICHAEL USA

HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION
1ST Place: BRUTAS, JOEL HAITI
2ND Place: MCALPINE, TREVOR CANADA
3RD Place: YURESKYL, VALERIY UKRAINE
3RD Place: FLORICOIU, FILIP ROMANIA

The event was sanctioned by USA Judo (national Govening Body for the sport),
United States Judo Association and New York State Judo, Inc.

First place winners received a prize of $1,000.
In addition, USA ahltetes who place in the top 3 earning elite level
classification and points.

For more information about the New York Open Judo Championship, visit the
New York Open Web site: www.newyorkopenjudo.com.

Wow, Trevor McAlpine got 2nd! That's amazing, the guy isn't that big for a heavyweight is about 20 years old...

As of last year there were a few 100kg players that could have taken him from what I heard (like Nic, Billy, or Steve), but I guess the guy is getting better and better as he gets older (which makes sense).

TTT

Judo Guy, Thanks for posting official results. This reminds me: Leo Leite of Brazil was really impressive. He got one opponent (I'm pretty sure it was Mashurenko) with an unbelievably slick throw (don't know the name of the throw yet). He dispatched fellow Brazilian in the finals via a choke on the ground. Looked like what you'd call a triangle-choke in BJJ. This final match saw quite a bit of newaza, cool stuff. Constant action on the ground so referee let them be, I guess.

Also, man! Rhadi attacks those arms like crazy! I was really surprised too that his last opponent did not tap out to those nasty armbars Rhadi had slapped onto him. You are one impressive Judo athlete, Mr. Ferguson!!!

Forgot to mention, but props to forumite NYCJudoka60kg (Ricky) for getting in there and mixing it up with the big boys. It was cool talking to you, hope to train with you in the near future.

I feel like I've been in a vicious car accident. Moving around is very painful right now. This sux! I'm probably not going to practice until Wednesday.

Thanx for the compliment sta94. Take it ez fellas.

FERG

Osaekomi: Buffalo Springfield? You're showing your age again :)

Rhadi: Very nice detailed account. Thanks for sharing.

It's nice to see Canada well represented in the results

yeah, Canada did kick some ass...

sta94, in case you didn't know, Leo Leite is a Mundial Champion at the black belt level in bjj and beat Mario Sperry along the way...

Man, this tournament sounds so awesome. I should have gone to watch. I hope they put out a video.

I think I better clear the calendar next year and go watch it.

sta94,

Thanks for the additional insight. Anything else you and Rhadi remember, please post.

test