Off-season Workouts and Training

I hope someone who has wrestled at the collegiate level can answer these questions for me.

1) How often would you guys say a serious Division I wrestler (someone who has set their sights on becoming a national champ or All-American) wrestles in the off-season?

2) How many times a week and how much per each session?

3) What do these sessions consist of?

4) And how much Folkstyle do they do in the off-seasons and how much of the international styles?

There's no way to really answer all that you've asked - you could probably write a book on this topic.

But suffice to say that for someone gunning for a national title, there really isn't much of an "off-season." Their off-season training may be slightly more laid back, but they aren't really taking much, if any, time off.

*repeated edits because I'm a creative speller*

for off season strength and conditioning i would train everyday, alternating between lifting one day and running the next.

running: 2-3 miles per session, usually throwing in a 4-5 mile run for one of the sessions every other week with some hill sprints if a tournament was approaching.

lifting: usually 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps per exercise. military press, close grip bench, pullups, chinups, and alot of neck work.

drilling: THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. EVERYDAY. even if you can't get to the wrestling room and don't have a partner, you can still shadow drill. get a couple cliff keen impact bubble knee pads and you can do this anywhere. don't just go through the motions...put some concentration and intensity into this. STANDUPS.. atleast a dozen or two from each side. TAKEDOWNS: whatever you like. motion, fakes, setups, shots, finishes. i'd work the single from both sides and usually drill 5+ finishes a day.

not sure if this is what you were looking for, but hope it helps......

pc

Chip and/or princesschaser,

Many college wrestlers wrestle one (or both) of the international styles in the off-season. Do they also wrestle Folkstyle in the off-season? If so, how much of each? How much "live wrestling"?

They might wrestle folkstyle in the off season, but only in workouts - there really aren't many folkstyle events to compete in during the offseason. So yes, they train in it, they just don't compete in it.

THank you for replying Chip, but my question was, how much of their training, not competing consists of Folkstyle as opposed to an International style and how much of each is performed "live"?

for most college wrestlers the answer is probably 100 % folkstyle and 0 % freestyle..... although (on takedowns especially) there is alot of carryover.

as far as how much they go live, that depends. in the summers i almost never went live. not by choice, but due to the fact that i was a poor college kid who needed to work full time over the summers so i could afford to go back for the next semester.

on the other hand, steve mocco is probably going live and working on par terre every day to get ready for mccoy.

if you asked this question to a hundred different wrestlers, you'd probably get a hundred different answers.

pc

ttt

Complete Fighter-

I wrestle at WVU and get to see how a national champ trains on a regular basis. Its a good model to follow.

1) You really gotta get in however much you can to wrestle. Its hard with class, and you have to avoid burnout. I guess for us the most important thing is getting the lifting and strengh up in the offseason. As far as days a week go, Id probably say 3x.

2) 3x a week, for I guess about an hour. Drill on the feet 10-30 mins, par terre for the same amount of time, then go live with good partners. Really, work on whatever you want. Focus is international since thats what your competing, but you need to review your film from the season and work on target areas in your game and improve. Do more drilling, more live depending on your needs, or mix it up per workout. Keep fresh.

3) Like I said, really whatever you want. Try and keep em serious. Dont drill, break, drill, break. You can use wrestling in the offseason to stay and shape and avoid running unless you really love it. Try and gell with your workout partners. Be a good partner, give him a feel. Dont be a pud, but dont be a bitch. Dont be soft, but go with the flow. YOu really wanna piss off a good wrestler, either drill soft or too hard. Those were wonderful days in the early season this year as a frosh not drilling the way Greg wanted me to and getting tossed around and screamed at. Nice welcome. But yeah, dont roll around, mix up your responses to your partners stuff. Make him do the right stuff, dont let him get bad habits, thats your responsibility. Try and start your session off slow, then work up in speed, resistence, until your almost sparring. Sparring is a great way you improve your technique. Its like your both going 60 percent, but once a partner hits a really good move, let him have it. Dont go takedown for takedown. Maybe one guy gets 3, the guy escapes or defends (freestyle) then you take him down and turn him, etc..... Drill takedowns to pins and turns. Drill situationals, like what youll do if your down by 1 pt late in a match, up by 1, etc.....Drill the clinch for freestyle. Do drills for your backarch and throws. Mix up your live, between short goes and groups and long grinds.

4) Depends on competitions coming up. Beginning of "offseason" is primarly fs/gr, peaking around trials, but im sure more and more folk as the preseason approaches. Depends on your goals.

Biggest emphasis is improving technique and gaining strength. Youll get your lungs for the most part in the preseason, the few months before the season officially starts.

Thats all for now, lemme know if you have any more Q's

Brendan

heres my email if you guys wanna get in contact, braedy@mix.wvu.edu

Oh yeah, whats goin on Chip? Hows the BJJ goin? Ill be back at Yamasaki probably Monday the 10th. Hit me up, we should work out and catch up.