Oishi Judo in NYC?

gwfa-

He was talking about Starrett Judo Club. It is taught by I think a former Olympian from Haiti. Awesome players and much cheaper than NYAC.

How far up from 495 is Starrett? Sounds like a great place.

I was hoping he was still teaching at St. Johns because I go there for college :)

Sak, I started out at the one in Brooklyn. In fact, I moved down the street from his place for the summer. Total happenstance.

He only teaches tues, thurs, sat?
Does Shiina Dojo ever teach MWF?
unfortunately i am otherwise occupied on tues and thurs.
Where I go to do GOOD JUDO on MON. WED. FRI?
PLEASE ANYONE HELP... Thanks you

Go to Oishi. You started the thread.

khd29, i understand.

but oishi is expensive.

thanx

ttt

Queens judo on metro ave in Forest Hills Queens excellent school. Hank Kraft great teacher. Price is right great mix of guys.

gwfa-

I don't know where you live but I remember checking out a school here in Manhattan; Kodokan Judo and Self-Defense.

In Queens, Hank Kraft's school is good. He used to be a student of Kimura. Which one I don't remember but not Masahiko. You can also go to the Ruskies/Azerbaijan/Uzbeks.. primarily Eastern Euro's in Forest Hills I think it called Spartak.
Check out the website for clubs in the area: Hudson Judo Yudanshakai.

ayone know a good place in westchester??...I tried the Hudson Judo website but they had no listings..thanks

There is a place in Scarsedale taught by some French dude. I don't remember his name but he always drops by Oishi's on friday nights.

I trained with Sensei Nobu Higashi of Kokushi Dojo (url:http://www.kokushibudo.com/about.shtml) when he taught Judo on my campus in Long Island. He is a very nice guy. His teaching style is a bit traditional with him not wanting to teach gatame-waza (armbars) to us beginners, but I respect that. Interestingly enough it seems that his class structure is somewhat similar to BJJ schools (from past experience and reading threads on here) since he had us do newaza training after training on throws. Kokushi had a US Open Champion this year in Cecilia Scultz.

Judo school in Westchester, NY:
Westchester Judo
Instructor: Sauveur C. Sorland (he & his students drops by Oishi's frequently on Friday nights)
495 Weaver Street
Scarsdale, NY 10583
Tel. 914-723-8006
email: westchester.judo@hotmail.com

Judo school in Queens, NY taught by former Uzbekistan coach:
Spartak Sports Club
Instructor: Arkadiy Aronov
64-34 99th Street
Rego Park, NY 11374
Tel. 718-459-4800

I have singled three school's out based on your posts, price,
and subway locations (no car).

1. Shiina
2. Spartak
3. Starrett

do not feel i am ready for nyac yet.
oishi too expensive.
I do have judo competition experience and am looking for the
best place to become the best competetive judo player i can
be.

which of the three mentioned places offers the best training
environment for competitive judo?

please also say if the above three are in a SAFE
neighborhood since i am traveling via subway @ night and
am not that familiar w areas.

Thanks so much in advance.

Rego Park, Queens = Spartak
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn = Japan Judo
Canarsie, Brooklyn = Starrett

They are all great places to train but neighborhood really does matter. If you go by neighborhood, Spartak.
Canarsie is a bit of a commute esp by subway for me plus it isn't a nice place to visit. I live in Bay Ridge and to me that is a pain.
I live close by Shina's and Bensonhurst isn't too bad. I have come across some "nasty" Russians, though. You get them anywhere.

starett is awesome.when you go visit that club be saure to say hi to dynell for me. he is one of the teachers there, he is also ranked #2 nationally. youll know who he is-- tell him he still isnt allowed to eat anything with sugar in it. thanks =)

-resnick

I don't know about the other places, but Spartak is in a decent neighborhood - Rego Park is one of the better neighborhoods of Queens, upscale, safe and easily accessible by public transportation. Just a few minutes walk away from the subway, the club is in the basement of an apartment-complex. Alisher Muktarov (2000 Olympics 5th place) trains there, as does Taraje Williams-Murray. Besides Arkadiy, the main coach, who I understand was the former Uzbekistan national coach, they also had this huge Russian "former heavyweight champ" coaching when I went there to take a look.

Starrett is waaaaay out in the far reaches of Brooklyn, unless you happen to live somewhere near Canarsie. Shiina is in a more accessible neighborhood that way.

Which train is Spartak located near?

"Bensonhurst isn't too bad"

That all depends on what you look like............