Old school vs New school era

You always here people debate or argue about who could beat who from different eras ie Prime Fedor vs Prime Cain, or Prime Couture vs Prime Bones etc.. Well imho there is a way to figure out a legitimate answer and that by blending the eras together.

For example, take prime Randy Couture vs prime Vitor, then take prime Vitor vs prime Bones etc.. Its a pretty good gauge on how fighters in different times would do against each other in their respected primes. Overall I think a prime Randy (35-40 yrs old) would be the lhw or even hw champ right now.

You can do this across the board in all sports by simply blending the eras together by using fighters or athletes against each other that continue into the next crop of up and comers. Just had to put it out there to see if people have looked at it from that way. You could tie in a prime Shamrock all way up to a prime Cain or Bones and have a legitimate gauge on who might win. Interdasting

To even things out you have to give past fighters current knowledge and training equipment that is modern. The work ethic will still be there.

Some fighters didn't need to be multidimensional back then. Until the Frank Shamrock and other complete Martial Artists.

New usually beats old. But it's especially true in a new sport still evolving like MMA .

Old doesn't have a chance. Phone Post 3.0

Fedor was the greatest 10 years ago with sloppy boxing and loose grappling. That doesn't cut it anymore. Cain has tighter striking, superb wrestling, total control and non stop cardio.

2014 Cain leaves 2004 Fedor in a bloody heap Phone Post 3.0

Bobby Lupo - Fedor was the greatest 10 years ago with sloppy boxing and loose grappling. That doesn't cut it anymore. Cain has tighter striking, superb wrestling, total control and non stop cardio.

I have to agree here no question. I like DC too VS Fedor.

I do admit I had to retract JDS to beat Fedor prior though. Plus I don't see what he could do, but prime Fedor was a great gameplaner too.

No doubt that the 02-05 version of Randy at lhw would be champion.

That version of Randy is the best fighter I have ever seen.

He ran over Vitor,Tito,and Chuck. All 3 of those guys were in their primes as well.

Lazer MMA - 
Bobby Lupo - Fedor was the greatest 10 years ago with sloppy boxing and loose grappling. That doesn't cut it anymore. Cain has tighter striking, superb wrestling, total control and non stop cardio.

I have to agree here no question. I like DC too VS Fedor.

I do admit I had to retract JDS to beat Fedor prior though. Plus I don't see what he could do, but prime Fedor was a great gameplaner too.

Agreed about Cormier and JDS. I find JDS to be one dimensional and he doesn't have enough boxing or speed to keep Fedor off him. He has a great sprawl, but Fedor doesn't shoot takedowns. JDS will be tripping like a Hippie at Woodstock. Fedor by GNP decision. 

Isn't OP just defining MMA math? Everyone knows that works.

LOL Pitbull! First off poor Ben got off ZERO offense period. This though I think he was 13 of 14 going into the fight iirc.

Sure if the best Fedor fought Cain in his 6th fight ever instead of Congo, he may have had a good chance. So F'in what? Latter Cain came in safely LOTS of times VS the MUCH more dangerous JDS.

poor MMA math used in that post Pit.

Fedor didn't become a one punch KO guy until he came to America and forgot how to do everything else. The only way to beat Cain is to either catch him in a quick sub or hit him on the button. I think his control is too good and Fedor's armbar would be too predictable (unless Cain trains with Coleman) and  2004 Fedor didn't KO anyone. 

Cain takes that decision pretty easily. Fedor has almost zero TDD when facing wrestlers.

notsobigmike - 
HolyHackZack - Isn't OP just defining MMA math? Everyone knows that works.

Exactly.

As if MMAth wasn't bad enough, let's do it cross-generational and hypothetically factoring in how much better some guys would be with current training methods.

There is good and bad, BS & sound MMA math.