olympic training center, colorado

You guys make me want to go more, but I'm dumb like that:)

ricky,
for camps a few times.. once to train inbetween semesters here. my best friend is there now, has been for 2 years now. i talk to eddie a bit about his program from time to time and have floated the idea about going there for some medical evaluations concerning my epilepsy and judo-- but decided that id rather not know if judo makes it worse. =)

"Those guys are at a completely different level, not only in skill and technique, but just their reason for doing judo. For any recreational/late starter judo player to go there would be kind of nuts." Pete, you are very correct in this statement. the OTC is in the business of making national and international medallists and nothing else. if that isnt your direct aim and you arent willing to do everything to make it such, then you should avoid the OTC..

"People at that level have to train in a different way and don't have time to slow down for others not as developed." this is not as true for other places.. i know we have an open-door policy at SJSU.. anybody can come here to train with us, especially if you are gonna be a college student and just want a place to get in some good randori and maybe see if its right for you. our goals here are different from the OTC in that regard-- we want college students and graduates as much as national and international medallists.

places like JMJC and Cohen's will also take people regardless of their abilities. they are all-encompassing clubs where they take people from the very basic stages to the top stages if possible. they are also businesses and no business-man would be stupid to turn down money.

Josh,

Thanks for the insight. I always thought that places like SJSU, JMJC, and Cohen's had a separate class for the national/international level guys. I thought that those guys might also be at the 'regular people' classes, but it was kind of hit or miss, or as an instructor. Good information to know if I ever have to start traveling for work again.

As a side note, I saw you post that you are going to take some time off from judo. I hope that you stay posting here at least. Although I don't post often, I have learned a lot from you from the time you have taken to answer my questions or statements I have made. Probably the most influential post I have read here came from you. I made a post about not being able to perform tsuri-goshi during randori and went on to describe my problem. You told me my problem was that I "was afraid to be thrown, which is crap." Although I don't perform tsuri-goshi much anymore, I still think about that statement EVERY time I randori. It has helped me improve as much as anything I have read in the last two and a half years. Especially when working on a new throw or combo.

Good luck with graduating, finding a job, opening a club, and your new child. You deserve the best.

Pete Pelter

The OTC has a limit on the number of folks who can live on site. I am sure that you can live in the city, though, and go train there, if it is appropriate for your level and ambitions.

Ben R.

Begginers are always welcomed at the JMJC, in fact we have a white belt training here right now who enjoys the hard work. Sure there are the elite atheletes, but there are pleanty of us kids here too. It's all up to the individuals work ethic.