Olympic Wrestling Gold Medalist Reportedly Considering MMA Transition

A three-time world champion, Sidakov won the gold in Men’s Freestyle Wrestling at 74 kilograms (163 pounds) at the Tokyo Olympics in 2021. However, Sidakov isn’t eligible to compete in the upcoming Paris Olympics as his name didn’t appear on the recently published list of Russian and Belarusian athletes approved to compete by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

Russian and Belarusian athletes were initially banned from competing at the 2024 Paris Summer Olympics due to the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict. However, the IOC later permitted the athletes to participate as Individual Neutral Athletes (AIN) approved by the Individual Neutral Athletes Eligibility Panel (AINERP). Athletes had to prove their dissociation from the war and their countries’ military forces to be eligible to compete.

Along with Sidakov, other notable names like Abdulrashid Sadulaev, Zaur Rizvanovich Uguev, Mahamedkhabid Katzimahamedau were also not approved to compete due to their previous displays of support to the war effort. 2021 Olympic gold medallists Sidakov and Uguev attended the “Wrestling – Strong People, Strong Country” rally in Ulyanovsk, Russia, to show their support for the war.

UFC featherweight prospect Naimov recently claimed that Sidakov is now considering a move to MMA.

“He told me that definitely after the Olympics he will transfer to MMA,” Naimov said in an interview on the Ushatayka YouTube channel (translation via FloWrestling). “I think he will come.”

Naimov further claims to have spoken to MMA manager Ali Abdelaziz regarding Sidakov’s potential UFC signing. “Hillman” also said that former UFC double champ Henry Cejudo has offered to help with Sidakov’s transition to MMA.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/C8X7yDdti5U/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=bbe47cbc-7e32-4438-bd16-0f1a2b2eaa57

2021 Olympic champion and 3X World champion Zaurbek Sidakov will not compete at the 2024 Paris Olympic Games, and is instead considering transition to mixed martial arts. This news broke in an interview with UFC fighter Muhammad Naimov hosted by Islam Babajanov on the Ushatayka YouTube channel.
He (Sidakov) just said that he won’t compete (at the Olympic Games)," Naimov said. When asked about Sidakov’s interest in MMA, Naimov wouldn’t give a definitive yes or no as to whether Sidakov would or wouldn’t, but he did say this -

“He told me that definitely after the Olympics he will transfer to MMA. I think he will come.”

Naimov also said they have already been in talks with MMA manager Ali Abdelaziz who manages several former UFC champions, such as Khabib Nurmagomedov, Kamaru Usman, Justin Gaethje and Henry Cejudo, among others. Henry Cejudo wrote to Sidakov that he is ready to help with the transition to MMA.

This news comes several days after Sidakov was not one of the Russian and Belarussian athletes initially approved to compete in the Paris Games.

Great, this is what we don’t need.

Dana need to start growing some balls and pair them up together for some

Dag On Dag Crime

Although they will probably “work” the fight if they were

Just give him the title shot already.

He wrestled at 74kg or 164lbs

The New Power Generation Tea GIF by Prince

This guy survived the Beslan terrorist attack. I would say he doesn’t have a good opinion of Muslims.

2 Likes

I remember this .

Looks like I’m Team Sidakoov now heading this news

We need more world class wrestlers in mma