Overeem Out of 2H2H With Injury

posted at thefightnetwork.com

FAVERUS REPLACES INJURED OVEREEM, MEETS YVEL SAT. AT 2H2H

By Stash Capar

Dutch mixed martial arts promotion Too Hot to Handle (2H2H) aims to hold the largest MMA/Muay Thai event ever in Europe this Saturday with "Pride and Honor" at the Ahoy Sports Palace in Rotterdam, Holland.

2H2H has a "limited partnership" with PRIDE Fighting Championships, says promoter Appi Epto, which allows them to sign European PRIDE fighters. The result is a plethora of PRIDE fighters scheduled for Saturday's card, including Gilbert Yvel (28-12-1) and Brit James Thompson (11-4). Brazilian Fabricio Werdum (8-2-1) meets Aleksander Emelianenko (9-2), younger brother to PRIDE Heavyweight Champion Fedor, in the main event.

Alistair Overeem, who was supposed to fight Yvel, has pulled out because of an elbow injury, according to Epto and Golden Glory head Bas Boon. Dutch powerhouse Rodney Faverus (24-11-3), who was originally scheduled to battle Chuteboxe's Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos, will be taking his place in a contest that is expected to bring fireworks.

"We're not worried about the change," said Faverus' trainer Lucian Carbin. "We're always prepared. Rodney is actually very excited. Gilbert is much stronger and he's a better opponent than Cyborg. This is our big shot; we win here and the next step is PRIDE."

Although this bout may very well be an all-out slugfest, 2H2H's Epto is promoting Emelianenko-Werdum as the new main event.

"This fight can go either way and it should be very exciting," said Epto in a phone interview with The Fight Network. "I don't think it will go the distance; their styles will clash."

"Pride and Honor" will now feature a total of 13 fights. Along with the MMA bouts, the event organizers have announced seven Muay Thai tilts.

2H2H "Pride and Honor"
Nov. 11
Ahoy Sports Palace
Rotterdam, Holland

Alexander Emelianenko vs. Fabricio Werdum
Rodney Faverus vs. Gilbert Yvel
James "The Colossus" Thompson vs. John Olav Einemo
Jan Oosterbaan vs. Henk Kuipers
Samir Bennazouz vs. Gokan Saki
Dave Dalgliesh vs. Lukas Jurkowski

Muay Thai

Tyrone Spong vs. Joerie Mes
Brecht Wallis vs. Ashwin Balrak
Ray Starring vs. Murat Direcki
Alvjar Lima vs. Marco Piqué
Faldir Chahbari vs. Ali Gunvar
Michael Knapp vs. TBA
Germaine de Randamie vs. TBA

Is 2H2H full MMA, or just typical Dutch kickboxing-with-takedowns crap?

The five bouts are full-on MMA. The rest is Muay Thai.

thanks, I might go and check it out then.

are you near that venue?

I like Overeem. I think hez cursed. Probably one of the best fighters 2 always gas out. He is always fun 2 watch and is well rounded.

I am curious what others think of him.

loretta,

Germany, about a 3 hour drive.

awesome. I would run it for sure if i was that close.

Emelianenko vs. Werdum....

yep, great matchup. the problem is, it's pretty short notice, going by myself isn't too much fun, and MMA fans to drag along aren't really easy to come by here.

I see. A hardcore's life is never easy...

Thats too bad it would have made for a good match.

Loretta u no longer with FCfighter?

No. I work for The Fight Network out of Canada now- TV, radio, web, and Fight Mobile (cell phone updates)-having a blast and still live in Cali.

awesome glad to see you're doing well

thanks man.

You going to Vancouver?

Don't think they wife and kids will allow that on the budget :)

But i will be going to Ed Hsu's show tomorrow night...

ROC on the 17th and Reality Fighting on the 18th..!

Arias

cool. A lot happening out there...