Palm strikes?

How do you guys feel about the effectiveness of palm strikes? How do you stack them up against punches? Obviously for MMA with gloves, punches would be the main choice, but let's say it's bareknuckle or streetfight scenario.

I prefer open hand strikes (not necessarily straight palm) for practicality for many reasons. Very powerful, very fluid when done correctly, and they save my knuckles and fingers much damage.

wrongaboutVitali

"How do you guys feel about the effectiveness of palm strikes? How do you stack them up against punches?"

I'd say they are equal, if you use the same body dynamics behind them.

The advantage is you don't have to worry about your knuckles.

Out in reality, hit 'em with whatever you can as fast as you can as often as you can.

Mark

That whole "bone splinter into your brain" thing may be BS, but a palm strike to the nose can ruin your day.

Do you beat on the mung bean bag to harden your iron palm or do you just slap the shit out of motherfuckers?

It is much safer for your hands to strike hard surfaces with open hand strikes than with punches.

Another thing about open hand strikes is that they make alot of noise, and that can intimidate some people.

I have slapped a few people and they were so shocked by the percussiveness of the slap that they didn't want to fight anymore.

I know it sounds silly, but most people on the streets aren't UFC caliber fighters who are conditioned to take shots.

Anyone who doesn't believe that open hand strikes aren't effective just need to look at Hackney/Yarborough.....

bas said he would rather strike with a fist than open palm

Bas is a machine or an animal (in a scary, good way, not a creepy, bad way) depending on his mood. I don't think what he says necessarily applies to mere mortals.

I've alway punched people when I've ended up in entanglements outside the gym or cage without a hitch, but my hands are in a shit state mostly from the sport fights and sparring. Ironicly I've never damaged my hands on the few occasions i've cracked somone bare knuckle but I've broken a bone in one and disloged a knuckle in the other in sporting cricumstances.

Go figure.

(it must be because I hit so damn hard ;-)

Trying to box open handed sucks!

i saw tim sylvia palm strike a guy in an early kipp kollar show called rhode island vale tudo

he hit that guy so hard his mother felt it the sound was NASTY like a graoefruit being smashed with a bat

I wonder if slapfighting when you're a kid helps any ... I may be an iron palm master and not even know it!

Ever bruised your palm? It sucks.

-Trent Tiemeyer,

former skateboarder.

"bas said he would rather strike with a fist than open palm"

Ya but check out some of his stikes in Pancrase.

I have switched to palm strikes. I had to get aids tested after exchanging blood with a guy. I punched him and during the fight his blood mixed with the cuts on my hands. I now use palm strikes. They still bleed from the nose and mouth, but I am not cut.

"I had to get aids tested after exchanging blood with a guy."

shit that sucks, thats gotta be one of the worst things about street fights.

I like to use both.  You get a little more reach with the punch over the palm strike.  Many hand injuries are cause by people not knowing how to make a fist properly, even boxers.  Mike Tyson broke his hand in a street fight with Mitch Green.  It's a lot different without the wrap, tape and gloves.

One place I prefer the palm strike is from the mount.  If I punch down at someone's face and they move, my knuckles are hitting the ground.   

Gary Hughes

True story, Mitch "Blood" Green apparently ended up turning his life around and fighting for some tiny promotion's title against a 17-92 guy named "Experienced" Danny Wofford lol, and after decisioning him, yelled "I want Tyson," then a couple seconds later, "I want Cicely Tyson!"

Not making this up, http://www.geocities.com/mitchgreen/villagevoice.html

I prefer to use a palm strike aiming to hit with the heel of the palm.

Baz

I use palm strikes a lot. As a law enforcement officer they are the best strike to use. 1) it's easier to grab off of the strike 2) if your hand gets broken you cant't use your weapon 3) it's actually an easy strike to teach to new officers.