Passing De La Riva

What are the main strategies used to pass a good De La Riva Guard?

What are key things to look out for, when passing, so
as not to get swept on your face or getting baited
into doing something stupid?

What key advice was given to you that helped your game out in this area?

Let's say his leg is wrapped around the outside of your right leg. Turn your right knee outward. This will stop him from wrapping around too strongly, and stop him from taking your back a little bit. Also don't let him push your left knee back too far, try to stand more square and keep him in front of you. Don't let him grab your sleeves if you can help it. The two easiest things to do are to backstep kneebar on his left leg, or pass by underhooking his left arm with your right arm and sliding your right knee over his right thigh.

Andrew: "...or pass by underhooking his left arm with your right arm and sliding your right knee over his right thigh."

Wow, I think this might be the key to solving my problem.

Normally, when caught in De La Riva I get suckered
into it pretty deeply. I am agressive and don't like
to back up when passing(not saying this is a good thing). What I usually do is fight to get the foot
that is pushing my other knee back off and pushing
it through my legs. Then I step foward. But that's
not working for me.

This seems as though it's a position that has to be
thought out because there are lots of traps if you
try to wing it.

Thanks, Ken

Andrew how is your base? Is it best to stand straight
up or crouch(in a kinda combat base)?

Andrew touched on one little detail that has really helped me escape the de la Riva attacks: turning the trapped foot outwards.

Say your opponent is at 12 o'clock and has your right leg entangled with his left. Lift the ball of your right foot up and pivot on your right heel, so that your foot is now pointing somewhere between 1 and 2 o'clock. Now squat down a little bit so that your knee drives forward - this tends to 'pop' his hook off. Now quite often you can get rid of his grip on your heel by kicking your leg sideways (from 3 to 9 o'clock) behind his butt.

I also like doing a jump spinning toehold (which Erik Paulson shows in Killer Leg Locks 3) or one of several back-spinning kneebar variations.

Stephan Kesting
www.grapplearts.com

You might want to check out the Rey Diogo video from Island concerning this position.(benzo)

you can also get a very nice spinning toe hold by attacking his left foot and spinning around his left leg, in the scenario described above.

Here's one that is fairly simple.

Scenario: He has your right leg wrapped with his left, he is holding the same ankle that his left leg is wrapped around, his right hand is holding your left sleeve, and his right leg is in your left thigh or hip.(The ideal De La Riva position as per Rey Diogo and Arthur Ruff at a Rey Diogo Seminar.)

Now the initial defense would be to point your knee outward (as stated earlier). From there, take your left hand and circile it around so it is on top of your partners wrist and grab his sleve (So you have the dominent and stronger grip on the sleeve.) Take your right hand push down on the leg that is in your hip/thigh (Your partners right leg) and at the same time as you push down, shoot your right knee through to your partners left side to pass his DLR Guard. Now to prevent your partner from sitting up as you pass your knee over pull up on the sleeve that you have in your left hand. (His right sleeve.) As your knee press' your partners leg down to the floor release your right hand from pushg down his leg and transfer it to underhooking your partners left leg (the leg that was wrpped around your right leg) and then pass. Underhooking his left leg will prevent him from turning to the left after you pass the guard. This will stabalize him. The once everything is said and done, stabalize your side mount. I hope this one helps. If you have any other questions as to my explanation, please ask.

Jay

Good stuff

Thanks again, Ken

Jay:
"Take your right hand push down on the leg that is in your hip/thigh (Your partners right leg) and at the same time as you push down, shoot your right knee through to your partners left side to pass his DLR Guard. "

Do you mean shooting my right knee through to my left side? If not, I'm confused.

Damnit, I wish my 5 yr old's legs were longer.

Ken

first neutralize his position:

-controlling his right leg (by grabbing his ankle with your left hand) that usually pushes on your left leg/hip is very important.

-alot of pushing/pressure on the inside of his left thigh at the same time you point your foot outwards as already been mentioned.

-keep your elbows tight to your body and donĀ“t let him control your sleeves.

-then pass :)

Ken that's correct! =) Hey I have a 6 year old daughter and I've come to accept that you have to deal with what you have. They only get older and bigger. So think of it this way.. using your child will only get easier and better over time. =)

Jay

I have a favortie pass that I started working on recently. With your right leg entangled like someone mentioned earlier to point your knee outwards at a 45 degree angle, If possible control your opponents left sleeve with your right hand and with the other hand control the right pant leg. Now put all of your weight on your right leg, now lift your left leg up behind your right leg to either slap or push the de la riva hook off into your right hand and work the traditional open guard passes.

-B

Two favorites:

1. the sit down pass: turn around and sit down on the side he's applying the delariva, BUT grab his leg and get your hand under his neck, scoot your hips back and try to escape your entrapped leg you should get side mount

2. dirty foot lock pass; casually grab the toe of the non-de la riva foot; apply a figure four to the toe and simultaneously summersaulting over the non delariva leg.

Hey Ken,

We can go over some of these tactics the next time
I see you. This is all great advice, and the timing is
important as well.

Steve

www.nexusma.com

Thanks Steve,

I'm sure you've told me this stuff before.
Sometimes, It's a lot to process all at one time.

Yeah, it's good to get information before hand to think about so, I can ask you semi-cogent questions when I see you.

Ken

"Let's say his leg is wrapped around the outside of your right leg. Turn your right knee outward. This will stop him from wrapping around too strongly, and stop him from taking your back a little bit. Also don't let him push your left knee back too far, try to stand more square and keep him in front of you. Don't let him grab your sleeves if you can help it. The two easiest things to do are to backstep kneebar on his left leg, or pass by underhooking his left arm with your right arm and sliding your right knee over his right thigh. " - sounds framiliar, good idea.