PBF pad work, is it effective?

So watching all of the 24/7 episodes that have ever involved Floyd Mayweather, I've seen him do the same pad work routine hundreds of times. From guys who do striking here, is what Floyd does actually effective, or is it just a glorified routine for the cameras?

um I couldn't answer how effective or not it is, but being he is undefeated i'm guessing it works pretty well, at least for boxing. 

Judging by his record I'd say yes.

Effective for who? Floy'ds 40-0 and a multi weight class world champion, so for him absolutely it is.

That doesn't mean that it will be effective if you just go to the gym and get your trainer to try that out with you though.

Floyd's been doing that for a long time witha trainer that has been doing it for a long time. I've seen peopele try it the first time and it's all kinds of fucked up.

It also works for Floyd's style which relies on his crazy speed and athleticism which you don't have.

"It also works for Floyd's style which relies on his crazy speed and athleticism which you don't have."

You're right, I don't. Not sure what that has to do with anything though. Maybe I didn't ask my question right, I'm not trying to insult PBF, I was just wondering if other guys who are strikers practice similar pad work, and how it is effective for them. I'm just curious because from a purely FAN perspective I'm trying to understand how it translates to an actual boxing match.

I'm just looking from a little insight from those who practice striking. I'm not a fighter, and I don't pretend to be, that's why I ask those who are.

muscle memory wise and speed wise i'd say yes.  plus it said that he worked the pads for 45 min straight no breaks, so i guess endurance wise thats a yes too. 

as big of a mouth as he has and for alll the glamour, he does train like a monster. 

It's the minutia of the training that you cant pick up on 24. Go to Mayweather's club and watch I'm sure you'll be able to better understand the system, it's more than simply hitting pads quickly. This guy has such incredible fundementals, foot work, and yes I might have to agree, God given talent.

Douche,

Thanks, that did offer some good insight. I appreciate the help.

He won't allow cameras to record sparring sessions and other more serious training so it's possible that a lot of the flashy stuff that he does is partially for the camera. Who knows?

It works great for keeping Roger in shape.

Ok just did some reading on the other thread and now when I look at it I can see some little things he does that's impressive that I didn't notice before.

Needs a second guy to hit him with a towel at the same time, imo.

muscle memory, quick twitch fiber etc.

you ever seen someone hit a speed bag....?

MNFAN - "It also works for Floyd's style which relies on his crazy speed and athleticism which you don't have."

You're right, I don't. Not sure what that has to do with anything though. Maybe I didn't ask my question right, I'm not trying to insult PBF, I was just wondering if other guys who are strikers practice similar pad work, and how it is effective for them. I'm just curious because from a purely FAN perspective I'm trying to understand how it translates to an actual boxing match.

I'm just looking from a little insight from those who practice striking. I'm not a fighter, and I don't pretend to be, that's why I ask those who are.

Dorry I should have said most people don't, including other pro boxers.

Floyds a freak athlete so there's techniques he can use because of his speed/reflexes that other boxers can't.

That style of padwork builds quick reaction to punches. Avoid or block the punch then counter back quick and accurate, not necessarily hard. Floyd can do it, but a fighter who doesn't have the gifts he has can't becasue it's too fast.

I think I'd trust Floyd Mayweather over the "guys who do striking here".