penn and diego need to fight

winner of penn/diego gets winner of hughes/gsp

this would be a great fight. two intense guys with great ground games and good hands.

man, that staredown would be crazy.

I concur !

If Penn was in shape I think he would beat Diego up on the feet pretty bad.

If he came in like he did against Hughes. He will stop Diego's takedowns and win the standup for a few rounds, and then probly get finished in the 3rd by strikes (ala Hughes Penn 2)

Agreed! They both need a fight in the next few months anyway.

The timing would be perfect.

how long til bj is healthy enough to end the diego hype?

penn is one of the guys that I get most excited to watch fight.

he doesn't always deliver that excitement, though. but still

that would be a good fight, pay to see it...

Mato

IMO not a good fight for either guy.

If Penn wins then he beat un upcoming TUF finalist. Does not make BJ's stock go up.

Too soon for Deigo to mathc him with BJ. But if he beats him it would definetly help his stock. But he won't.

there's some type of electricity about penn that makes him exciting

pre-fight penn everyone is excited

diego shouldn't have to fight anyone before GSP.  He's earned a title shot.  & I'd rather see a new matchup than yet another rematch.

Yeah that would be a great fight. Cuz if diego gets a shot it won't be till dam near summer of 2007, spring anyway......He'd have to fight......sounds good......

The Prodigy is the man!!!!!

After seeing the interview Joe did with him on Inside the UFC, I realize a little more of why there's so much general anticipation before his fights.

He stated more than once that he comes in with no gameplan. Now, for a pro fighter, this is not the smartest thing to do (or not do). He stated that he likes to keep the feeling close to a street-fight or caveman-like. I can understand this, but it's not going to make for the best possible record and legacy.

But on the other hand, Penn has so much natural talent and capabilities, so you just never know what's going to happen. That's where the anticipation comes from.

But I wish he would come with a gameplan, because he's NOT on the street, and he's handing over a huge advantage to his opponent.

His opponent gets to formulate and execute his gameplan, and BJ can only react to it. He takes what's coming and does whatever he feels is necessary. But regardless of how skilled BJ is, his opponent gets to impose his plan, and BJ is relegated to react to it.

That's too much of an advantage to hand over to someone.

If Penn was in shape I think he would beat Diego up on the feet pretty bad.

If he came in like he did against Hughes. He will stop Diego's takedowns and win the standup for a few rounds, and then probly get finished in the 3rd by strikes (ala Hughes Penn 2)

I think even if he came in bad shape he could KO him in 2 rounds... diegos stand up is no where near Penns all he needs is two rounds..

"He stated more than once that he comes in with no gameplan."

Interesting. When I was watching the last two BJ fights, I was thinking, "what is he actually trying to do, except not lose until his opponent gives him a glaring opening?" He wasn't working FOR anything. Which is probably why he lost to people who were. And which is why he's probably lose to Diego.

After BJ owns Sanchez, then this stupid Diego hype will hopefully die down.

If BJ came in with the attitude of going straight after the guy, going right for the KO or get them to the ground and finish them immediately, just being super offensively aggressive, then even that would technically be a gameplan.

But just trying to get the better of the standup (and he has great standup) and defending takedowns gives too much control to the opponent.

Or at least know that no matter who he is fighting, they will be coming in more prepared than they have ever been in their career and will have a plan designed specifically for fighting him. If he at least knew what the opponent is going to try to accomplish he could have his own counter-game-plan which will allow him to do whatever he wants.

But then, I'm sure he's already aware of that...I'm just rambling.

I'm not a big BJ fan but if he beats Diego, i will be

sounds good to me