Peruvian necktie @ Paris GS!

Has anyone ever seen a Peruvian necktie - Let alone a guillotine - in international comp?

2:48 of this vid - can’t see either guy’s patches so no idea who either is - anyone have any idea?

Top Judo Ippons from Paris Judo Grand Slam 2020 - YouTube

Yes, we see the Peruvian necktie choke occasionally. Not new in judo circles. Usually it is done grabbing the opposite gi collar from underneath the neck and throwing the leg over.  In the above video he is using the no-gi technnique where he joins both hands together to choke. Travis Stevens teaches the choke this way with both hands together. I prefer the cross collar version. 

Can't tell who the participants are the scoring table can't be seen. The scoring table in the video  is for the mat next to their left.  

The French Women are very good at it. In fact Amandine Buchard uses it quite often. It is her go to submission in newaza.

Wasa-B - Has anyone ever seen a Peruvian necktie - Let alone a guillotine - in international comp?

2:48 of this vid - can’t see either guy’s patches so no idea who either is - anyone have any idea?

Top Judo Ippons from Paris Judo Grand Slam 2020 - YouTube

The winner is Noel Van T End from the Netherlands. He is the reigning world champion (hence the red name patch) at -90kg

Aaron, I am surprised you didn't mention Gerbi one of your hero's.  She uses the gi to choke but it is a peruvian necktie version.

I think the IJF banned using the gi end to choke.  Correct me if I am wrong.

You need an arm entrapped to use a guilotine choke or else it is a neck crank which is illegal.

Gerbi was one of the first to use it sucesfully at high level, but as Judoblack belt said she used the gi, and her version was banned. Nowadays, people use the more traditional version where you clamp your own hands. The second half of this highlight shows Buchard using it with great success. 

Yes, she is very effective using both her hands to choke using the peruvian necktie version.

Aaron Lapointe - 

Gerbi was one of the first to use it sucesfully at high level, but as Judoblack belt said she used the gi, and her version was banned. Nowadays, people use the more traditional version where you clamp your own hands. The second half of this highlight shows Buchard using it with great success. 

Why can’t u use the gi? There are numerous chokes involving the lapel and legs…

I'll let Aaron give his version of the rules.  But what Gerbi did is loop her "own' jacket lapel bottom around the neck of the opponent.  I guess like choking them with a "cord or belt".  Normal chokes allow using the "opponents" collar to choke them, or using your legs that trap 1 arm, or the peruvian necktie version where you trap an arm and join your hands together (otherwise it would be a neck crank), or a rear naked choke or a poke choke where you grab the collar on each side with both hands and push one hand in to the side of the neck to choke. It can be confusing what is legal and what isn't.  Personally I like the Gerbi choke.  The opponents thought they we safe protecting their collar only to find out Gerbi wrapped her gi around their neck and threw her leg over.

judoblackbelt - 

I'll let Aaron give his version of the rules.  But what Gerbi did is loop her "own' jacket lapel bottom around the neck of the opponent.  I guess like choking them with a "cord or belt".  Normal chokes allow using the "opponents" collar to choke them, or using your legs that trap 1 arm, or the peruvian necktie version where you trap an arm and join your hands together (otherwise it would be a neck crank), or a rear naked choke or a poke choke where you grab the collar on each side with both hands and push one hand in to the side of the neck to choke. It can be confusing what is legal and what isn't.  Personally I like the Gerbi choke.  The opponents thought they we save protecting their collar only to find out Gerbi wrapped her gi around their neck and threw her leg over.

Pretty much what judoblackbelt said. You can’t use your own lapel like a noose.

Seems like the necktie like how that Gerbi was doing it might be a good attack in newaza off misthrows where the opponents are not gonna be too worried with a head and arm from the front.

What about the anaconda? Anyone seen one of those pulled off in judo?

I mean Buchard.

Speaking of using your gi to choke opponent, I learned a choke from back take and you insert the bottom of your lapel and grab it from the opposite hand and kick your leg over as if you had the opponents opposite lapel…and inside of doing a rolling armbar motion, you kick your leg on the front of opponent’s face how you end up armbar position…hard to describe but would that still be legal?

WasaB- I don't see Anaconda in judo because you can grab the opposite collar instead of inserting your arm to the other side, or claps your hands together.   Anaconda is more of a no gi choke to me and you have to roll.

Can't use your lapel bottom to choke. Have to roll in the Anaconda to finish when you can just throw your legs over the top Peruvian Necktie to finish, simpler.

judoblackbelt - 

WasaB- I don't see Anaconda in judo because you can grab the opposite collar instead of inserting your arm to the other side, or claps your hands together.   Anaconda is more of a no gi choke to me and you have to roll.

Can't use your lapel bottom to choke. Have to roll in the Anaconda to finish when you can just throw your legs over the top Peruvian Necktie to finish, simpler.

Yes! I actually used to do that rolling choke I think you described. Grab opposite lapel from the inside and instead of arm triangling, you put your opposite hand under the pit and behind the neck and roll. I picked this up quick coming from wrestling with the gabouri (not sure of spelling).

However…I was wondering about an anaconda or darce since if the lapel grip is not there, you have to have quick advancement and though with those no-gi grips it may be good to do if its open right away.

Travis Stevens showed a no gi Peruvian necktie choke from the side by inserting his hands/arms then clasping his hands together and throwsing his leg over.  I would go for this since it doesn't involve any rolling.