PFL venue locations, any connection to UFC anymore?

I haven’t been following the PFL much lately , I used to love the WSOF and once attended an event in Vegas. I figured PFL was the same deal re-branded, I haven’t been paying attention the last few years as where the events have been held, I totally thought they were in Vegas…

Did PFL get booted from Vegas? Or did they lose a partnership with UFC? I remember Ali Abdelaziz in an interview saying the WSOF/PFL was an official feeder league for UFC but that was a long time ago. Pretty sure I heard Ray Sefo say the say thing too.

I saw PFL have a really good event coming up on July 1 and I thought it was in Vegas, I looked to get tickets and was bummed to see none of their events have been in Vegas, and none scheduled.

PFL is definitely beyond being a feeder league to the UFC now. A lot of fighters on PFL cards are better than ones on typical UFC cards. I assume they’re still on decent terms though since they’re on the same network.

2 Likes

Good point, forgot about ESPN deals

Looking at their history, they were never full time in Vegas. They’ve always moved around outside of the COVID year. I’m sure they’ll go back there eventually.

1 Like

I will check it out their history. I honestly thought all their old events were in Vegas.

1 Like

A lot of them were but not all of them. They traveled a lot

1 Like

I’ve never heard anyway say they loved WSOF before to be honest.

I loved tuning in to WSOF for the Moraes, Gaethje and Ivanov fights though. I remember Ivanov Copeland was an awesome war and HW Rumble vs Arlovski was pretty damn good too.

I always wonder about these organisations. They probably only exist to launder money. Even the most hardcore fans can’t keep up with so many different fights and promotions

1 Like

For guys like Ray, Pettis, Macdonald, Wade, Werdum etc… who chose to or had to leave the UFC, its a great place to make some money.

Pettis just made 700k twice in a row to fight the same guy who was not even ranked in the top 20 globally and he didn’t even have to win one of those fights to make the $1.4M. Stuff like that won’t happen for ya in the UFC.

You do wonder just how unprofitable they are and how long they can continue attracting new investment.

1 Like

They light money in fire. It makes no sense. I had guys I helped out fight there and I always wondered how the checks cleared.

They don’t sell PPV’s and they give away tickets at their events which are usually held at smaller venues.

Advertisers don’t pay them that much. I have no idea how they make money.

For what it’s worth… I liked the WSOF a lot more than this current PFL.

WSOF felt like they were trying, the fights still meant something,

PFL seems meaningless . It’s basically a UFC alternative with the ESPN deal

Like Shane Burgos. If he went to Bellator or ONE FC, I don’t think Dana would be saying “oh we dropped the ball on that one”

I can’t watch much PFL at all. I hate everything about their “regular season” and point system and I’m the biggest fan of traditional tournaments in the world.

1 Like

I remember for their finals last year someone on the UG was saying they were giving out tickets the day of the event and I remember by the time their show started there were still just a few thousand people in the arena. I know live gate is only so important but their ratings that have been released were always terrible.

1 Like

It’s so retarded. Their regular season is shorter than the playoffs!

Regular season = 2 fights

Playoffs = 3 fights to win.

It’s so stupid

I got tickets last minute in Vegas for a WSOF event , it was dead empty

Playoffs are two fights, not three.

But actually, in the right circumstances, a fighter can make the playoffs with only one fight in the regular season, so you’re still right about there potentially being more playoff fights than regular season.

PFL doesn’t have the simplest system, but the main thing to remember is they heavily reward finishes, especially first round finishes.

1 Like

Playoffs used to be three fights when they were advancing 8/12 fighters to an eight man tournament but yeah now they just advancing just four fighters to the playoffs.

1 Like

But don’t you have to win 3 fights to win the tournament?