Picking a base fighting style

both. its not easier to do one first, thats silly. train at a MMA gym and learn them all together, thats what the competition will require!

"both. its not easier to do one first, thats silly. train at a MMA gym and learn them all together, thats what the competition will require!"

I disagree

Do you really feel that a raw beginner with no skills whatsoever is really going to improve at a decent rate learning how to punch, kick, elbow, knee, clinch, takedown, sprawl, sweep from guard, pass guard, sub from guard, hold side, hold mount, maintain back, escape from pins, and everything else there is to do in mma at the same time?

Im starting to learn striking here and there with people and I can barely handle just learning punches. When people start using kicks I get so overwhelmed. Just go to any BJJ class and look at the people who have only had 1-3 classes, many cant even grasp the concept of guard.

I think its important, especially in the very beginning to focus on skill sets one at a time. Even if you start striking a couple months after starting grappling, I think that would make a huge difference from trying to learn everything at once.

Just my opinion though

I think its best to learn BJJ/Grappling first until you are about about purple belt level before focusing a lot of training time on striking. As long as during that time you work wrestling takedowns, & judo as well. Then when you are about a blue belt level, add boxing bagwork and footwork drills. When you are a purple belt, start muay thai training.

"look at Bang, he got saved by Big John in the UFC and got tapped out by BJ in less than 2 minutes "

But theres a difference between Bang's situation and amorphous's. Bang is still lacking in ground skills cause he didnt go into his career planning on being in MMA, so he didnt add a ground game till very recently.

amorphous is starting out planning on being a complete MMA fighter. Therefore he can add a ground game as soon as he has a good base in striking, making sure he has alot more time than Bang to become proficient at it. And as we all know, time and practice is what seperates a blue belt from a blackbelt in grappling(really and style).