Post Fight with Mark Hominick

Mark Hominick regained the TKO Super Lightweight Championship last weekend by defeating Shane Rice in a rematch at "TKO 19: Rage." Hominick spoke exclusively with ADCC News post fight about his win and the baby oil allegation. An interview request with Rice management has not been accepted.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOMINICK ARTICLE

ttt for The Machine...

your friend,

Pete

Great Interview / Article nice to finally here the Machine's take on the fight and the surrounding BS.

Joseph you might want to change your piece to show Rice's true record of 1-3 not 0-3. Other than that great read.

TTT for the Machine

:)

Nathan always on top of things...........

Thanks Shawn. Just want to reflect the correct record. These guys do fight for them.

Shawn are you at your school? I would like to talk to you.

“Shane was trying to pass and I was trying to regain my guard,” said Hominick, “we ended up underneath the ropes and the ref stood us up.”

Ummm ... Shane had mount, he wasn't trying to pass guard, that's a little different. I hate this rule, wish they'd adopt Pride's rule here. The current rule is completely biased in favour of the strikers.

I don't think it is biased at all. It just puts the onus on the grappler to control the fight on the ground. This rule adds an element of ring positioning to these fights that I like. Don't want to get stood up, then control the fight and keep your opponent away from the ropes.

The only thing that TKO should be focusing on changing is the God awful beer they serve at the events. My stomach is still feeling the after effects!

It is patently biased because it only effects ground fighting. It puts no equal onus on the striker, and in fact gives considerable advantage because not only can they stall to a standup, they can drag themselves to a stand up.

If there was a par-terre rule, where a grappler could stall the stand-up into being put on the ground, or if they got stuck in the corner standing, they were put on the ground, then it would be fair.

However, many MMA promotors seem content to skew their matches towards bad toughman contests, and away from a real integration of boxing, kicking, wrestling, and submission grappling, so 'fairness' is probably not an issue, and competitors will evolve according to the skewed promotions.

Out of curiosity, would you like to see a rule where if both fighters are inactive while standing, that the fight is taken to the ground in some way? The Severn/Shamrock fight from years ago comes to mind as one where such a rule may have been beneficial. Both fighters danced around eachother for what seemed like an eternity.

As per the stand up rule, out of curiosity, is it the organization, or the Commission that sets this rule? I honestly don't know.

I will agree with you that in an ideological view of MMA, the TKO rule is biased towards the ground fighter. If the organization (whoever that may be) wants to put every fighter on level playing ground, then this rule doesn't fit the bill. If you want to pit striker vs. grappler, you need to make it equitable for both parties.

Today, I doubt you'll find many fighters that compete in this organization that don't train in multiple disciplines to become a more rounded fighter. I doubt you'll find many fighters that don't have at least some knowledge of both stand-up and ground fighting. This is what drew me to the sport because it forces athletes to evolve, and to develop a huge range of skills if they want to be successful. In this regard, my arugment that the TKO stand up rule isn't biased still has merit I think. Both fighters are aware of the rules when preparing for the fight. My feeling is that you should adapt your training accordingly. Just as the grappler has to learn stand up, and the striker has to learn ground tactics, now both fighters have to develop skills in ring positioning and control. To me, these fights are no longer a battle between grappler and striker, they are between one athlete and another.

Looking foward to feedback from everyone.

I'd like to know if it was a TKO rule or comission rule too.

nathan@aristeia wrote "Joseph you might want to change your piece to show Rice's true record of 1-3 not 0-3. Other than that great read."

Thank you, Nathan. Too funny. In order to defend the title you must have needed to win it first. Eh.

great interview and great Picture! Wow amazing photo, who took it?

Crazyhook,

From the perspective, looks to be someone who was sitting right near me, if not right beside me.

It usually helps Joseph. It was meant as no slam either. Thanks.

"In this regard, my arugment that the TKO stand up rule isn't biased still has merit I think. Both fighters are aware of the rules when preparing for the fight. My feeling is that you should adapt your training accordingly."

No, the TKO stand up rule still is biased. Yes the fighters are cross training, but most fighters have a base first, and typically that's in a stand up game or a ground game. This base is also their strength. Very few fighters are truely complete.

Also, the bias is made even worse by refs who stand things up way too early as they don't understand the subtleties of working in the guard.

Why does TKO have this rule when the UFC and Pride don't?

What deepu said :)

And that fighters do adapt to the rule is bad for the sport, same as doing anything to hinder stand-up striking exchanges would be bad.

Probably why Pride has that yellow card, so if they're going to knowingly stall for a standup, they also know it will cost them.

"Yes the fighters are cross training, but most fighters have a base first, and typically that's in a stand up game or a ground game. This base is also their strength. Very few fighters are truely complete."

I still believe they have to adapt to the rules and the sport. If you are less skilled in one area of the game, you need to improve. If you look at any professional sport, the top athletes are good at all aspects of their respective sport, not just one. Most probably started out with a fundamental skill, but to become the best,they too had to adapt to their sport and improve in many areas to become complete athletes.

"Also, the bias is made even worse by refs who stand things up way too early as they don't understand the subtleties of working in the guard."

No matter what sport you refer to, referee controversy will always be present. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much you can do about this, in any sport. You have to rely on a referee, and there will always be one side that questions his/her objectivity.

"Why does TKO have this rule when the UFC and Pride don't? "

I'm still waiting for someone to provide information on whether this is a TKO rule or whether it is set by the Quebec Commission.