Pretty Sweet Combat-Sports Photography (PART 2)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrfamousface/sets/72157635450236970/

If you peep.. Any feedback on the photography would be appreciated. Shoutout Kirik for my last sets feedback. Phone Post

fishyfish -

keep at it, especially if it's something you enjoy.

need more action shots.  WB is usually best at Tungsten (lightbulb) minus a little Amber in the WB+- IMO (my preference).  or else colour can be all over the place, which isn't fun when it's of the same set, for looking cohesive.

higher ISO means a little grainier, but MMA is a gritty sport, so it fits, and also gives you extra speed.  better a little underexposed, which you can brighten later, and that too gives you extra speed.  overexposed means highlights are blown, and also means a slower speed.  shooting a little wider gives you wiggle room, as the action can be moving around a lot.  higher aperture gives you more depth of field, and I'd combine that with manual focus, prefocused at around the distance they are, instead of wider aperture and worrying about the precise focus.  in general with spotlights, IMO it's good to set the contrast at minimum, to help preserve highlights and shadows, as spotlights are high contrast.  all this is my technical opinion.  as for timing: anticipation + many frames per second bursts. 

what kind of camera do you use ?  I used to use a SLR for cage shooting, but I think a quality compact might actually be better, as 1. greater depth of field, and 2. you can move the camera closer, right up to the side of the cage, using the screen to compose, thus bypassing the annoying fence (for focusing and image composing).

best wishes!

Awesome post. Phone Post

fishyfish -

keep at it, especially if it's something you enjoy.

need more action shots.  WB is usually best at Tungsten (lightbulb) minus a little Amber in the WB+- IMO (my preference).  or else colour can be all over the place, which isn't fun when it's of the same set, for looking cohesive.

higher ISO means a little grainier, but MMA is a gritty sport, so it fits, and also gives you extra speed.  better a little underexposed, which you can brighten later, and that too gives you extra speed.  overexposed means highlights are blown, and also means a slower speed.  shooting a little wider gives you wiggle room, as the action can be moving around a lot.  higher aperture gives you more depth of field, and I'd combine that with manual focus, prefocused at around the distance they are, instead of wider aperture and worrying about the precise focus.  in general with spotlights, IMO it's good to set the contrast at minimum, to help preserve highlights and shadows, as spotlights are high contrast.  all this is my technical opinion.  as for timing: anticipation + many frames per second bursts. 

what kind of camera do you use ?  I used to use a SLR for cage shooting, but I think a quality compact might actually be better, as 1. greater depth of field, and 2. you can move the camera closer, right up to the side of the cage, using the screen to compose, thus bypassing the annoying fence (for focusing and image composing).

best wishes!

Hell yeah. Great breakdown , and I got some points I'll take account.

I am a HUGE critic of grain,(I HATE it) thats why I shoot at lowest ISO possible, I try not to go over 800, and I work my settings off of ISO. As far as the action shots, I try to stay at around 100-200 shutter speed. I am huge on trying to get that clean.

I REALLY feed from your feedback on trying to diversify colors. Looking.through ALL my Combat sets, I even noticed that I have "A Look" which I want to get away from.

I shoot with a 5D Markiii , & 7D.
I mainly use my 7D when at events, because I'm all over the place and if, I drop, or bang up one of the two. I rather it be my 7d lol.

Appreciate it man Phone Post

fishyfish -

my pleasure.  do you use live view, or shoot through the viewfinder ?  which "look" do you want to get away from ?  do you ever have access to shooting over the edge of the cage ?  IMO that makes it MUCH easier.

here are my own MMA pics from a few years ago: http://www.fototime.com/inv/242173A78A726DA

No access for over cage shots. That's just for the promotions guys. My presspass just allows cageside.

I always shoot through viewfinder, manual focus. I've tried live through lcd, but it's just not as natural for me, as Im used to viewfinder shooting. Phone Post

fishyfish -

have you tried emailing small MMA websites and offering to take pictures "for" their website ?  that's what I did in order to get better access.  there was no money in it, but at least my ticket was paid, and I could get cageside, and once or twice looking over the cage, so better shots for me.  probably you are already doing something like that.

I think I'm the only person I know who actually prefers to shoot using the screen instead of the viewfinder.  whatever works for each person IMO.

so tell me this "look" that you're trying to get away from.

Nah. Atlanta treats me right. I get cageside access as well as locker-room.

The "look" is just not going out the box, and experimenting with different settings.

I have my formula,(which comes out more crisp than most locally) but I just want to experiment more.

I really do appreciate you more & next door I'm gonna mess with live-mode more with photography. Phone Post

fishyfish -

one thing I find I want to integrate more into my own photography (and video) is space, ie: shooting a little wider so the location gets felt a bit more.  best wishes!

Same. Those were shot with an 85mm 1.2. My next purchase will be a super-wide angle L Series. Phone Post

TTT Phone Post