PRIDE office closed, workers fired

When Pride lost it's TV deal I came on here asking "Is Pride dying =(". No really cared. I didn't even get a "Pride never die!" That was well over a year ago. Pride has been nonexistent for over 6 months. I think the point is it's time to act like a man and get over it. There was good and bad about Pride, and the best thing about it were some of the fighters. Those fighters are still fighting! Try to show some maturity and move on. Stop breaking into tears every time something reminds you of it. It's pitiful.

bust out the mickey's bottles to celebrate

busts out Hello Kitty doll to mourn

"bust out the mickey's bottles to celebrate"

lol

busts out Hello Kitty doll to mourn

Hahaha! Damn true...

Here's your Pride, everyone...

So Pride had the best and worst of MMA where the UFC continues more of the mediocre to good stuff.

Frankly, i thought the 1-2 freakshow/t-can matchups per card was worth for the 4-6 marquee matchups you could also see on a single card. Lets not even start with how spoiled we were with having the LW/MW GPs on the same cards. Good riddance!

"So Pride had the best and worst of MMA where the UFC continues more of the mediocre to good stuff."

I see. So Shogun in Pride is the best. Shogun in UFC is mediocre. Gotcha. You're not a fight fan. Fair enough.

Attjack: That's not exactly fair, he did not state that at all.

attjack,

considering that the fact that the ufc has a virtual monopoly on big league mma now, the cards are still rather mediocre at times considering that pride had the aforementioned 4-6 big matchups per card even when they had a major competitor, didnt they?

the recent ufc card was pretty good overall. the coming one with rashad/bisping is more of the mediocre to good that i was rerferring to. all the matchups are legit matchups with legit fighters but still isnt up to the multiple huge matchups that pride regularly had.

im not really complaining, just putting things in perspective. im not hoppin in any johnny come lately troll spree, ive been down with both from the get-go (even though im not a fight fan).

attjack is a douchebag who somehow has the authority to tell you if you enjoy MMA or not.

OK what I said wasn't fair. But maybe you should look at the silver lining which is that we have most top level fighters gathering in one spot.

I would like to see more matches that I'm not seeing yet. I also think it's a mistake to overlook the new talent the UFC is developing. There are so many of them I think it diminishes their name recognition. A name like Vitor Belfort still sounds pretty good. It has recognition value. But a lot of these "no name" fighters are as good as he was when he first burst onto the scene. The sport has grown.

"attjack is a douchebag who somehow has the authority to tell you if you enjoy MMA or not."

Well when you cry about pageantry over fights you really aren't a true fan of the sport. Sorry.

Yeah, I agree that it sucks right now not to have a viable alternative but that wont last. MMA is getting way too big and it's only a matter of time before some of these smaller events hit the mainstream and become more competitive.

Then we get the athletes divided up which sucks.

"Well when you cry about pageantry over fights you really aren't a true fan of the sport. Sorry."

lol

How that pertains to me I have no idea.

I explicitly miss what Pride is criticized for, God help me, but UFC shows have been great.

Damn it just got cold. I think hell just froze over. ^^^

One crummy work is all I ask for...

lol

"But maybe you should look at the silver lining which is that we have most top level fighters gathering in one spot."

But thats exactly my point. Because of that, its only natural to expect a bit more quality out of each UFC card and though its certainly improved i think recently (to where i can remember sometimes only a couple of "marquee" matchups rounded out by tuf'er vs. tuf'er) where Pride had the aforementioned number even when it was not the sole spot for mma big league'ers.

But you're also talking about a guy that said long ago that Randy would be a tough fight for Fedor and that Chuck was the #1 LHW in the world. Ive never been about Pride vs. UFC, im far too knowledgable about each style, fighter, weight class (about the sport period) to blow hard one organization and write off the other and everyone in each.

"I also think it's a mistake to overlook the new talent the UFC is developing. There are so many of them I think it diminishes their name recognition."

Thats not the case at all either. Exciting/promising up and comers are "names" and can make up "marquee" matchups as well. The UFC LW class now is booming pretty well with the youngins like griffin, guida, huerta, tavares, etc.

Thiago Alves is now showing himself to be another exciting young, up and comer to an already ridiculously deep WW div (who, outside of Hughes, all the top guys are all young too).

The MW div is the obvious shallow one at the moment but Anderson is perhaps the most exciting (and best?) fighter in the UFC right now.

The HW div has now become a real competitive and challenging div again where it was AA defending against Buentello and Eilers a while back.

Still, to be honest, the UFC cards of now, as a big league monopoly still dont match up to the regularly stacked cards that Pride had where you had it some top 10 vs. top 10 matchups even got overshadowed because there were so many others.

Do i have to bring up having the LW and WW GPs on the SAME cards again?

I remember when i was defending Zuffa against the Dana haters when Zuffa also awarded Bonnar his contract when people were screaming they didnt really like the sport but were just in it for the money. I think Zuffa' done a great job....but hardly perfect, and im just pointing out that i think Pride's average card still had more oomph than what the monopoly UFC is producing right NOW.

I wont say it will be like this forever, i cant say what will happen in the future. I used to watch every single UFC AND Pride but now that i can only watch the UFCs, i just want more out of them.