Problem with Weight Cuting

Is that it is part of the show. The weigh ins are where and when the Fans get to see the fighters, its part of the Hype up. In other sports the weigh ins are on the day of the event, but in MMA, Weigh ins are part of the whole show. 1fc does the actual weigh in, early in the Morning, and another for the Public later in the day.<br />After seeing these guys suffer the way they do, I sure wished there was a better way to do this! In my experience, almost every one thinks that dropping to a lower weight is the solution to ones career, but that is not always true. Recently I made a kid that I manage come up a weight, and he is doing waaay better. I also think that the long term damage to these guys bodys is a factor not being taken into account. Something must be done on this. But I am not about to go out on a limb and try to know what.

There also isn't really a solution Phone Post 3.0

The best solution is to keep the weigh-ins the day before(so a fighter can 100% mentally focus on being fight ready on fight day) but add a hydration test when they weigh them.

Other ideas like same day weigh ins are just stupid.

SoCalMutt - 
YHTOMIT2001 -

The best solution is to keep the weigh-ins the day before(so a fighter can 100% mentally focus on being fight ready on fight day) but add a hydration test when they weigh them.

Why are same day ins stupid? I just don't know enough.

Keep the fighter focused by not having to worry about weight cutting at all. Natural weight sounds better, no? Phone Post 3.0

Same day is dumb bc guys will still cut weight. I wrestled in college and they weighed us an hour or 2 before competition. Guys still cut plenty of weight. Dehydration takes water from your organs, including your brain. That's a bad thing when strikes are involved.

Weigh-ins should be day before. A fighter should be able to fully focus on the fight on the day of the fight. The natural weight thing isn't a valid concept unless you don't want to have actual set weight classes. Your weight can fluctuate drastically over the course of a day depending on meals, fluids, etc. So even if someone is fighting at their "natural weight", they could end up over because they drank too much water or something. Leave that to the day before the fight.

random weight testing

guys just have to fight at what they really weigh, in shape

Boxing monetizes weigh ins and are the day prior too. Phone Post 3.0

SoCalMutt - 
YHTOMIT2001 -
SoCalMutt - 
YHTOMIT2001 -

Keep the fighter focused by not having to worry about weight cutting at all. Natural weight sounds better, no? Phone Post 3.0

Same day is dumb bc guys will still cut weight. I wrestled in college and they weighed us an hour or 2 before competition. Guys still cut plenty of weight. Dehydration takes water from your organs, including your brain. That's a bad thing when strikes are involved.

Weigh-ins should be day before. A fighter should be able to fully focus on the fight on the day of the fight. The natural weight thing isn't a valid concept unless you don't want to have actual set weight classes. Your weight can fluctuate drastically over the course of a day depending on meals, fluids, etc. So even if someone is fighting at their "natural weight", they could end up over because they drank too much water or something. Leave that to the day before the fight.

Thx for the info.

Any experience w hydration test? Phone Post 3.0

Yea, the NCAA made us do them for college wrestling to determine what our lowest competition weight would be and thus what weight class we could wrestle at. Everybody cheated them though. For example, I wrestled at 133. If I didn't cheat the test, I would have had to compete 2 weights up at 149. But on the flipside, it's not hard to stop people from cheating those tests.

My first fight I was a out of town guy fighting a local guy. We had the option to weigh in the day before but I couldn't get there early so I weighed in the day of and cut more than 15 and fought 8 hrs later. Live and learn but I felt like death. Now I'll only do 8lbs water day before and now even thinking about not doing anymore cutting past traditional dieting. I walk at 180 ish and fight @55 but I can look and feel great @70 so why should I lose muscle to get to 63 only to cut 8 water day before? Getting older and I just want to feel good so I guess I just turned into a welter wait half way through this post.?thanks UG lol fk55 Phone Post 3.0

I think only solution is random weight checks during camp Phone Post 3.0

Easters - I think only solution is random weight checks during camp Phone Post 3.0

Then you'd have to scrap the idea of having set weight classes. Weight fluctuates. This would also lead to lots of big fights getting cancelled.

YHTOMIT2001 -
Easters - I think only solution is random weight checks during camp Phone Post 3.0

Then you'd have to scrap the idea of having set weight classes. Weight fluctuates. This would also lead to lots of big fights getting cancelled.

Well they could have a range. For example for a fight at 135 you could never way more than 152 during camp. Not a perfect solution but it would help Phone Post 3.0

YHTOMIT2001 -
SoCalMutt - 
YHTOMIT2001 -
SoCalMutt - 
YHTOMIT2001 -

Thx for the info.

Any experience w hydration test? Phone Post 3.0

Yea, the NCAA made us do them for college wrestling to determine what our lowest competition weight would be and thus what weight class we could wrestle at. Everybody cheated them though. For example, I wrestled at 133. If I didn't cheat the test, I would have had to compete 2 weights up at 149. But on the flipside, it's not hard to stop people from cheating those tests.

I agree a hydration requirement is sensible.

Can you share details of how the test was cheated and what measures are needed to prevent this? Phone Post 3.0

No easy solution. The mention above about striking and dehydration makes sense. A sport were a lot of strikes occur is completely different from grappling sports such as Judo or JJ. But the harm done to these guys body's is also real, just impossible for a human being to do severe weight cuts time after time and not suffer mid and long term effects. Subject should be discussed and thrown around so new ideas and solutions pop up.

Didn't realize barao had 3 fight lined up since February

Hydration is the problem, not weight. Phone Post 3.0

UFC travel day is usually Tuesdays. First thing you do is weigh in before Burt Watson. That's the first time the UFC has contact with you.

Perhaps they should encourage the fighters to be no more than 10% above their fight weight at that weigh in. Barao should then be coming in at no more than 148.5 (135 + 13.5). Maybe give international fighters an additional 48 hours and have them come in on Sunday vs. Tuesday. But their first contact with the UFC would then be on Tuesday.

The fighters would hopefully then start tightening things up sooner and manage the cut better vs. last minute.

You miss either the Tuesday pre-weighin or Friday weigh-in and you get a warning. Second time results in you having to fight in the next weight class above.

-GG