Promising Prospects Stopped by Gatekeepers?

Mike Pyle vs John Hathaway  

1 Like

Brandon Vera vs Fabricio Werdum

He had just lost to Tim Sylvia in his previous fight, but it's hard to call Tim a gatekeeper at that time. He also took Tim to a decision. 

Vera started out with a KO, a decision, 5 more ko/tko, and one submission. He wasn't just beating bigger guys, but was doing it with Super fun to watch, great confidence. He had Joe believing in him. But I really feel that getting stuck under Werdum and being finished changed him. I thought he beat Couture, but either way he was never what he had set out to be. 

Let’s be real here Till got stopped by Masvidal who is a journeyman

Evan Tanner beating that guy who's name I don't remember anymore. He was winning on talent at first. Then Evan took over on grit and toughness. He looked so confused and dejected at the end.  He seemed to fall off the face of the earth after that loss. Who was he? 

Baby Fedor, Kirill Sidelnikov got TKO'd by Paul Buentello, the he failed the steroid test. 

Do Bronx getting subbed by Jim Miller, who isn't a gatekeeper, but Olivera's career got Gatekept

1 Like

A young up and comer named Kimbo Slice stopped by Seth Petruzelli.

1 Like
Captain Canuck -
fightsfan - EVAN TANNER beatdown of DAVID TERRELL and Terrell was never the same....

I remember ROGAN saying " Dave Terrell is on the bottom getting pounded and wow he really doesnt want to be here …

Terell was hyped to be the next HUGE thing. 

I remember all the talk about his grappling credentials and how people said his striking was being worked on but his grappling would eaily cover the problem until he could be a top level striker with training.

Tanner took that and shoved his fist right into that lie.

C'mon cap, I dunno that was a lie.

I dont think Terrell was ready to be the nail, and some people never are. Tanner came a long way for someone who learnt a bunch of techniques in his garage with mates, but even he fell.

Everyone falls.

All the MWs that Vitor beat.

2 Likes

Dunham by Guillard. Sotiropoulos by Siver

4 Likes

Brown vs Wonderboy is a good one.

Guida/Pettis

Elkins/Bektic

Forest/Shogun

James Irvin/Houston Alexander

2 Likes

Matt Brown fucked up a lot of up and comers. First name I thought of reading thread title 

Diego Sanchez vs Mickey Gall

3 Likes

Bryan Barbarena, Sage Northcutt

2 Likes
Pulala - Diego Sanchez vs Mickey Gall

I almost said that, but he'd already been stopped by Randy Brown before this.

KhabibWinsTheRematch - 

Guida/Pettis

Elkins/Bektic

Forest/Shogun

James Irvin/Houston Alexander

Great list. 

This should be called the Guida-Pettis Award

1 Like

Cm punk (just kidding)

Condit's UFC debut

Nate Diaz vs Conor 1

am I the only one who could never stand clay guida?  never has so much been done to accomplish so little

Very boring fighter. Nevertheless, has wins over: Josh Thomson, Nate Diaz, RDA, Gomi, Showtime, Hioki, Kawajiri, post prime BJ Penn, Joe Lauzon and Erik Koch.

wiggum - Very boring fighter. Nevertheless, has wins over: Josh Thomson, Nate Diaz, RDA, Gomi, Showtime, Hioki, Kawajiri, post prime BJ Penn, Joe Lauzon and Erik Koch.

not knocking his record.  he put in work, just never enjoyed a guida fight.