Proof that some fighters get an easier career than others?

7 Likes

Someone mentioned that Chris Weidman was given a choice between more money but harder opponents or less money and easier opponents after he won the title. Trying to find an actual source though.

4 Likes

I’d like to see more of Dana and Joe’s emails like this.

4 Likes

IMG_5481

1 Like

https://www.si.com/fannation/mma/ufc/ufc-lawsuit-reveals-damning-fighter-negotiation-emails

1 Like

In

1 Like

Good thread.

2 Likes

It doesn’t take rocket appliance’s to realize some fighters get a smoother ride than others. These emails prove it.

11 Likes

All depends on how many tickets/ppvs you can sell and if you get put on their shit list. This is an entertainment business first, sport second. Just like in boxing there are some real killers that could beat up a lot of the top draws but they’re not marketable for whatever reason so they’re not chosen as opponents.

4 Likes

And at that point it doesn’t it become more entertainment than sport?

1 Like

Slimy fucks. Everyone knew this shit was how they roll but to see these emails is pretty big.

Dana is probably fuming at this.

11 Likes

Are we all forgetting how Conor Mcgregor got a title shot after a win over Dennis Siver, who had just lost to Cub Swanson and was unranked until he mysteriously got ranked number 7 that very week?
Dana White privilege is real

13 Likes

Does this change the way any of you guys see certain fighters and their legacies? How does this affect GOAT/era discussions?

1 Like

I mean they tried to make Nate Diaz fight Khamzat in his last fight.

Dana White is on record saying that Nate is too small for welterweight, and booked him against the biggest welterweight on the roster after Nate expressed interest in testing the market.

The guy is pure scum and always has been. And that little weasel fuck Joe Silva should be punted.

9 Likes

There are very few fighters that have had an “anyone, anyplace, anytime” attitude and had it work for out well for them over the course of a career. Dana preys on guys with this type of short sighted attitude. I don’t question anyone’s legacy because there has to be some type of career management. I don’t blame anyone for holding out for money or refusing to fight someone on a short notice.

A few of the guys fighting in BKFC were former UFC Champions and really should have been able to live a minimum of a top 15% lifestyle from their UFC earnings but instead are bare knuckle fighting when they should have moved on to the next phase in life.

Dana did an excellent job of spinning Tito Ortiz as an idiot and a buffoon because he didn’t want to get buttfucked on what would have been the biggest UFC gate at that time by fighting Chuck Liddell for peanuts. The public bought it hook line and sinker as well. Chuck drank the cool-aid and now is a bumbling moron with brain damage.

Chuck and Tito should have did what Mayweather and Pacquiao did and discretely sit down together in a hotel room alone and decide how much money they wanted to fight each other. Then Tito and Chuck should have held a press conference and said “…oh we will fight, but it will be under our terms.”

The last PPV I purchased was GSP/Bisping and I won’t purchase another one.

6 Likes

Nah, there might be guys on the way up that get easier runs than others but anyone in the GOAT discussion has had to put together a long streak of championship matches. They’ll have fought no.1 contenders multiple times.

3 Likes

i really don’t see the issue with it. should they send nate off to another organization on a high point from beating a jobber? it’s a business. why wouldn’t they want to set their business up for future success

Mismatches are the sign of a poor matchmaker whether it’s someones first fight with the org or their last.

To use matchmaking as a way to fuck with guys careers because they might not want to accept the intentionally low ball offer you made them or just don’t want to be in your org anymore is scummy. Setting an almost 40 yr old ex lightweight against a guy in their prime who could probably fight at lhw is honestly dangerous.

You’re intentionally doing something that could have serious consequences to someones health just so that they can’t be successful without you. And I know fighting is always potentially a serious risk but these intentional mismatches are another level.

If you don’t think there is a moral issue in that then that’s your opinion and I disagree with it.

3 Likes

Alot of “good” business choices, are shitty moral ones

4 Likes

Didn’t they give Machida a really tough fight for his last one?