Question for wrestling fans about Funky Ben

Who was the superior college wrestler Johny Hendricks or Ben Askren? I know they wrestled in high school but I’ve been curious about the legacy these two made on the collegiate level

1 Like

Ben Askren was a two time Hodge trophy winner and pinning machine. It’s like he earned the Heisman for wrestling twice. The best version of Ben Askren destroys the best version Johnny Hendricks 10/10.

5 Likes

askren

Askren and it’s not even close. If Chris Pendleton hadn’t had him totally figured out Askren’s name might have been right there with Cael for the 2000s best college wrestler (Askren had 8 losses in college and 7 of them were to Pendleton).

2 Likes

Not related but I would have pulled a Molina to watch prime Ben -vs- Colby. I have no idea how this goes. Colby has such an advanced striking advantage it isn’t even fair, but still doesn’t have the cold KO power. Ben said in an interview that he thought Colby’s wrestling wasn’t even good at all and he would pin him easily. So what happens in MMA?

Two different styles of wrestling. Hendricks was an explosive strong guy! Askren was a counter mat control guy! Both styles have their place and both styles are great if you know how to do it correctly! I would say askren is better at what he does than what Hendricks does! But Hendricks has that style that can put you on ur back faster!

That being said their are guys that do what Hendricks does better! Carey kolat, Jordan boroughs, Kyle dake.

Askrens style is catch and roll you and mat manipulate you!

Speed kills I’m more of a Hendricks guy myself!

MR. C

1 Like