question on neck crank

What do you think: is it ok to neck crank somebody during light warm-up sparring? Thx for your opinion.

NO

IMO, you shouldn't do neck cranks at all UNLESS it's ok with your partner.

do you just feel the need to potentially destroy your partners vertabrae just so you can win some meaningless victory that nobody will ever care about? Neck cranks: what a cheap ass way to train.

It all depends how you apply it. 

If it's light warmup sparring then you can apply anything you want (or, anything that's legal at your school) so long as you apply it in a light warmup sort of way.

And that means no cranking it, making it easy to get out of, etc. 

I agree with Stephen. Applying any technique in a vicious manner (neck crank or otherwise) should always be prohibited when practising with a partner anyway. When doing light warmup sparring, anything you do should be done lightly and if you're going to include neck cranks then you should clear it with your partner first.

I grappled a friend of mine recently and we include just about everything in our grappling. I was in his guard and I locked on a can opener from which he tapped out. I made certain that I applied pressure slowly and carefully to avoid injury and afterward we went over some can opener defenses.

My friend and I have grappled for years together, so we both trust one another not to do anything that will deliberately hurt the other. If I were working with a beginner, I would NOT include neckcranks nor would I want him doing it to me.

Lautaro

Thanks for the input.

I train bjj for 3 years now (46yo dutchman), had to stop a while because of a herniated disc, back to training since half a year, somebody new trains with us, big guy with grappling experience, during warmup sparring he suddenly goes for a neck crank (rather vicious), i flipped.

What i noticed is that there is no real norm about light sparring, it mainly depends on some kind of mutual understanding with the partner. Our `teacher' doesnt really explain what light rolling is (I like the description of Stephan Kesting btw).

It's sparring!!! If your partner does not understand the difference between a fuckin ego mat competition and sparring to learn, then make a mental note not to train with these people.

I never go into a session with someone that I don't know thinking it will be "light sparring." I assume they want to hurt me and will use all their energy to do so. If they prove otherwise, then that is great and we can roll easy.

You have to know people and how they train before you can trust them.

I've had too many guys over the years go all out after saying they're tired and want to go easy or drop for heel hooks and other dangerous things after saying they have no grappling experience.

The first rule is: protect yourself at all times.

Vegard: That's a good point. One of the phrases that instantly puts me on alert is when someone new says something like "Go easy on me, it's my first day". I've had countless examples of people just exploding into a spastic ball of fury from hell RIGHT AFTER they've just told me to go easy on them.

It's gotten to the point that when someone new really does go easy on their first roll, it's a pleasant surprise.

I've also seen it happen with ego-driven guys that say "Let's do some light rolling" and then immediately try to rip your head off! Wtf!

You definitely need to be on guard at all times when rolling with someone you don't know very well yet until some trust can be established.

Lautaro

Guys that love to use neck cranks:

Little guys who think its ok to neck crank guys bigger than them, and then acts surprised when you have to sit out.

The big guy who still thinks he can just overpower everyone instead of learning techniques.

Former wrestlers who are new to BJJ and dont know any better moves.

The guy who has been in class for years but hasnt learned much, who tries to injure the new white belt to prove his "dominance"

10thplanetzombie - your not allowed to pull your opponents head down when in a triangle position in comps anymore

Wait...what?  

nobody41 - 
Mesa - 
10thplanetzombie - your not allowed to pull your opponents head down when in a triangle position in comps anymore

Wait...what?  

10thplanetnuthugger is smoking pole and has no idea what he is talking about.

OH NO HE DIDNT!
ITS ON! CRIPPLE FIGHT!!!

i like when people try to neck crank me so i dont get sloppy. i cant remember the last time anyone actually tapped me with one, and they are used quite frequently in our gym, especially by the strong guys.

the only submission i really dont feel comfortable with is the heel hook.

Sebastiaan - What do you think: is it ok to neck crank somebody during light warm-up sparring? Thx for your opinion.

Well, that depends. How many assholes do I get daily who want to do "light warm-up sparring", only to have them go 100% to try and catch me? Are you one of those? If so, then ya. It's ok to neckcrank you.

^no i'm not one of those, he (the neck cranker) was.

vegard - I never go into a session with someone that I don't know thinking it will be "light sparring." I assume they want to hurt me and will use all their energy to do so. If they prove otherwise, then that is great and we can roll easy.

I've had too many guys over the years go all out after saying they're tired and want to go easy or drop for heel hooks and other dangerous things after saying they have no grappling experience.

Thats actually a great way to look at it. I think I may use that same point of view

vegard - I never go into a session with someone that I don't know thinking it will be "light sparring." I assume they want to hurt me and will use all their energy to do so. If they prove otherwise, then that is great and we can roll easy.

+1000

I never give the new guys anything at all until they have learned to roll a bit, new guys will try all kinds of crazy crap if you give them space.

That being said any time that you roll with someone you aren't very familiar with, new or not you should be on guard and aware at all times imo