random questions

Well I have been training Thai boxing for about 4-5 months now and I really enjoy it. I am extremely eager to get better. So I have a few questions for whoever is bored and feels like answering.

1. I have read that muay Thai is picked up relatively quickly as far as a martial art is concerned. I have been training for about 4-5 five days a week consistently (missed one or two days) and I still feel like a goof when it comes to sparring.

2. How long in a practical sense can I expect it to take me to become pretty proficient at Muay Thai, If I train five days a week and have two of those days are privates. I don't want to become pro, but maybe fight in a smoker or something mild like that.

3. I come from a weightlifting back round so I know there are optimum things and routines you can do to increase your strength and size. I'm wondering what the optimum training split is for Muay Thai that has been successful for multiple people. I.e. train five days a week two hours a day, or train two days bags then two days this or that..

4. What types of training can you do if you decide to stay home and not attend the gym? I.e. shadow boxing, footwork...

5. If you sustain an injury is it wise to stay home and heal or just go to the gym and tuff it out? Because as of right now my right thumb is all messed up, and my shins for some reason have gotten all bruised (again) and my left foot is killing me, etc... None of these pains are life threatening, but when I keep going to the gym they never go away.

Sorry about the non-sense, I guess I'm just bored at work and wish I were training...

punctuation and line spacing are our friends, use them

yeah i know; it was spaced out when i was writing it.

#1. i was in the same boat bro. one of my problems was that i am right handed, but stood like a southpaw. they called it right leg dominance left hand something. all i have to say is to relax and don't stress. it will come to ya sooner than later.

#2. i'm not a guru but i can tell, we spar with other gyms after having the basics down, and some foot work. this is in a controlled environment and it's all about getting practical experience, not trying to take each others head off.

#3. IMO this would depend on if you are preparing for a fight or not. fight time, fellaz are training almost everyday, less sparring and more bag work. Less when fight is over. on days i do not go to the gym, i will still do jump Squats, a little skipping, pushups, situps and stretching, while watching TV.

#4. You skipped 4...hehehe

#5. Not sure if this is right or not, but we work through slight injuries esp...around fight time. obviously, power may not be 100%, but the training continues. some may disagree with this, since we are doing this for fun and not getting paid, but hell, i like a little pain every now and then.

I'm not a MT guru. I've been doing this for a little more than 1yr. just giving my .02.

sounds like you're thinking too much... relax and flow

My school requires 5-6 months, then you get considered for a smoker tournament prep. We have enough in L.A. where you can insist on getting someone within your experience range and still get a fight.

Remember, sparring requires experience.

I do 2 days powerlift, one day bodyweight circuit (when I have 2 days off from Muay Thai) after that I risk overtraining. I find that strength is not as important as endurance. How strong are you at the end of round 8???

Lastly, depends on the injury. I use the old motto, "Are you hurt, or are you injured?"

Hurting requires toughing it out. Injuries require rest and rehab.

I have gone the "tough" route, and only re-injured 4 times worse.

ttt