Randy Couture "Charles Oliveira He's precise, he's technical. I have a lot of respect for him."

Welcome to The Weekly Takedown, Sports Illustrated’s in-depth look at MMA. Every week, this column offers insight and information on the most noteworthy stories in the fight world.

“MVP” is a perfect fit for Couture. His non-profit, the Xtreme Couture MMA Foundation, is dedicated to honoring the veterans of America’s armed forces. Merging Vets & Players has a similar ethos. Founded seven years ago by Boyer and Fox Sports’ Jay Glazer, its goal is to empower combats vets and retired athletes, making sure they have direction and support in their lives. The real-life stories of the women and men in MVP led to the creation of this film.

“This whole project really connected with me,” Couture says. "This is grounded in truth. It’s based on people who really struggled. Eight original MVPers were part of homeless shelters, so the movie really hits home.

“I understand walking away from a big piece of your identity. MVP does that in this amazing, grounded, grassroots way. So many of us rely on each other rather than a psychiatrist or psychologist.”

The secret ingredient in Couture’s ongoing success is his drive. That is powered by his purpose, a driving force in his life.

“My purpose has always been providing for my family,” said Couture. “I wasn’t going to be like my dad, who was a deadbeat and never really around. That made it easy for me. I needed to support my family, then get my degree – and I wrestled for the Oklahoma State Cowboys, then competed in the UFC. So I knew who I was when I gave up my uniform. The same was true when I retired from fighting. I knew how to transition my energy to other projects, like acting, when I had this built-in purpose.”

“Charles isn’t pulling outlandish stunts,” Couture says. “That’s not what our sport is about. He’s a martial artist. His accolades are all ones that he earned. He’s precise, he’s technical. I have a lot of respect for him.”

A former three-time UFC heavyweight champion, Couture has found a new passion in acting. His latest role is in “MVP,” which is running in select theaters across the nation. “MVP” is a film inspired by the MVP outreach program, which stands for Merging Vets & Players. That is an entity which connects military veterans with former athletes to train and share life experiences, which also is the plot line for the movie.

The film promotes empathy and understanding, helping people gain an understanding of someone else’s struggle.

“Getting a better understanding of that journey is fascinating,” Couture says. "This isn’t about just statistics. It’s about giving people insight to what that struggle looks like.

“For Nate to find a way to tell this story, it’s pretty awesome. The story is very powerful, and I am happy to be part of it.”

2 Likes

This was on the front page, I didn’t see no topic about it so apologies if so, there use to be a discussion link in old news articles but I guess that was removed or they dont link news from the front page to the forum no more.

2 Likes

I agree with Randy and Goldberg. His(Charles’) presicion is so…precise.

3 Likes

Maybe Randy should Skype Charles

1 Like

Not as precise as that cumshot on the camera.

2 Likes

sport killer

War Randy

The don’t call him AuNaturel for nothing

2 Likes