Rear naked chokes in NHB

I have had people stretching me out in the gym and it hurts a bit, but it didn't help them choke me out any easier.

damn this two page system.....i always post, and miss the second page where my point is already made by someone else

Stretching out with the RNC is similar to stretching out with an arm-in gullotoine... you don't do it (or if you do, it's only to cinch position).

You should be compressing yourself like many others have said and driving your elbows together driving your chest into their back.

You're not trying to rip his head off, you're trying to squeeze the sides of his neck. It's one of those things that doesn't "feel" right but "is" right.

Hand position is a function of arm length. with short stumpy arms like mine, I'm lucky if I can even grab my forearm ;) others with longer arms can grab their triceps.

Coffee is incorrect. You do not push down with your legs and pull up with the arms. You do not have to have the hooks in to make a choke work.

Stand up or stay seated, put your left hand thumb down with your palm against the left side of your neck so your fingers are wrapped around to the back of your neck and do the same with your other hand. Take a deep breath and squeeze your neck. Give it about 6 seconds or so and you will be out or very close.

Its the blood flow stopping that will make you go out. You do not need to pull the neck up. Might hurt your opponent but will not make him go out.

You use your back and actually crunch forward when you do a choke correctly. Watch any of the gracies, go down load Rickson's highlight vid off www.sherdog.com

I was doing rnc wrong for 5 years until rickson taught it to me correctly.

Someone, (Bobbish maybe) choked someone like that in Pride until they decided it was dangerous to the windpipe and banned it. It's commonly referred to as the Rape Choke".

No no... Try doing it to your self and stay clear of your wind pipe. Just push on your own neck and don't compress your wind pipe. do it for a couple of seconds right now. You will see what I mean, in a matter of seconds you will grey out.

Jack

I think I am now... Pull like a mofo? Thanks for the tip!

I would personally call it a "Coffee Break Choke"

Marcelo Garcia excuted 4 rear naked in the last ADCC event.... probably some kind of record.

It didnt matter if he had the hooks in or not because he never needed to stretch the opponent out, he just excecuted the choke properly. At best, the use of the hooks were for distracting his opponent as he would slide his forearm under his opponents' chins.

the thing is that gracia would surprise his opponents by catching them with the choke when they least expected.

also when his opponents hands were busy trying to get rid of the hooks (so not to be scored upon) their necks were open to being choked.