Reasons why nobody watches MMA anymore?

Sit down clown.

You can assume with a different member.

2 Likes

Bellator seems to be doing well as the second show no? One FC also as the SE Asia/Asia regional org.

But the main question is how is UFC viewership now compared to back whenever?

I think even the hardcore fans argue about the shit on social media. For example, a local fighter who used to fight in the UFC is pissed off about where he’s currently ranked in the local rankings released by the website that covers local MMA in the northeast. I don’t think he posts here, don’t think the people from that website post here, and the shit talking about the rankings as well as who would beat who all took place on facebook.

Fighters in the northeast pretty regularly shit talk each other in the comment section of their facebook and insta posts, and they pretty regularly call each other out for fights on social media. All the fun shit that used to happen here is now happening on people’s social media.

There’s still some stuff talked about here, but we’re like…IDK…the fucking hipsters who loved this place when it was only us, then hated it when the new breed of people arrived, but love it again because it’s back to being only us…because all the casuals left.

I think there are possibly less hardcore fans now…but there are tons of people following the UFC on social media that are talking shit about fighters in the comment section of their posts…and those casuals pay attention enough to buy ESPN+ along with some PPVs and casually watch the fights.

I went to a UFC party for the Cerrone vs Conor fight with a VP from my software company, and he follows it enough to bet on the fights weekly and has never heard of this place…and most of the people at the party were really into a couple fights, but didn’t know who anyone else was.

1 Like

Bellator is doing worse than ever if you take a look at the ratings they’re actually willing to release.

But they hide most of their viewership numbers because they’re that bad. ONE Championship is comfortably the second best promotion in the world atm.

This place is mostly shit tho so it’s good they haven’t herd about it. :wink:

But yeah, social media took over and for casuals and the tmz type call outs and beefs and stuff is perfect for those platforms.

Funny thing is that’s still the bulk of the convo here. Actual fight talk is maybe what 25% at best on here?

Interdasting. :+1:t4:

Crowbar is probably the last guy i would question about his knowledge of the sport…lol

2 Likes

I’m actually very interested to see the Nunes Peña rematch.

I don’t think Bellator moved to showtime because their rankings were tanking.

As for the rest of it…yeah…lots of big shows went out of business…they lost money for a period of time and stopped doing shows. They weren’t hugely successful shows that stopped making money, they were shows who never started making money and stopped. Strikeforce was bought, WEC was bought, Pride was bought…it’s not that they were huge then failed…they were a competitor and UFC bought them.

Dude is making it sound like Scott Coker was going broke at Strikeforce and was so lucky the UFC took it off his hands, but UFC bought Strikeforce for $40M.

I thought Pride was quite profitable before they lost their TV deal after their links to the Yakuza were exposed?

Regardless of who he is, and how plugged in he is, if the point he’s making is that MMA as a whole is less popular than it used to be, I disagree. The sport is being consumed in different ways, but overall eyeballs on the sport is higher than ever, the UFC is worth more than ever, fighter salaries are higher than ever, sponsors are paying more than ever to be part of UFC broadcasts…popular fighters are making absolutely insane amounts of money on social media…the sport is very, very popular…but it’s being consumed in different ways.

One last thing about the comment on local MMA shows going out of business…there’s a UFC every saturday, with most of them being free. Local MMA was much more popular when people were huge UFC fans and wanted more MMA in their life. The UFC wasn’t weekly…shit, it wasn’t even monthly. So they’d go to a local MMA show because they didn’t want to wait 6-8 weeks for more MMA. Now they’d rather stay home and watch a better product (meaning UFC is better than local MMA) over buying a ticket to watch local guys.

And yes, TUF rankings are down…similar to why local MMA is down. It’s no longer your only option. It used to be free with the only other options being PPV. The UFC’s entire business has changed, but is very much doing well.

2 Likes

Thanks partner!

I appreciate it!

2 Likes

Yes, but they were still doing shows, and it was still a ton of $ for the UFC to buy them. A quick google search says it was a year long investigation and $65M.

Who doesn’t watch MMA? So you don’t? Thats you, not everyone.

I can’t tell you exactly when MMA peaked,but it has slowed down.

There was a period of time when it was hip to wear Tapout & Affliction.Those days are gone.

We use to have Ronda Rousey,Brock Lesnar & Conor McGregor doing over a million PPV buys.

Those days are gone.

1 Like

The actual real fight talk is between like 25-30 people on most threads…even here there’s very few people who want to just talk about fights without trolling or shit talking

Endeavor continues to do well,but the bulk of their profits comes from selling broadcasting rights to other countries.

I messed up.I should have said domestic broadcasting rights.

I agree with you on some of your points, yes…it’s no longer cool to wear tapout & affliction. It’s no longer common for a dude at a bar next to you to chat you up about the UFC. However, the UFC is making more $ than ever because they are catering to the new world we’re in, where social media is king, and 10 casual viewers on ESPN are worth more than 1 hardcore PPV buyer.

And guys like Jorge Masvidal and Nate Diaz did over a million PPV buys fighting for a fake belt. Usman and Masvidal did over a million buys. Khabib vs Poirier did over a million buys. Conor pops his head up from time to time and does over a million buys…and between those huge PPVs, a “shitty” UFC PPV will do 300-400K buys, whereas some of the shitty ones during the Rousey era would do 100-200K buys.

I think the UFC is clearly missing a massive PPV star right now, and they’ve struggled to do huge buys with some of their newer stars…but Conor and Khabib broke every UFC record and that was less than 4 years ago…Ronda was out of the UFC for like 2 years by then, Brock had been gone a while.

So IDK…I can’t say for sure that 2022 is the UFC’s best year ever (maybe last year was a monster year due to Conor fighting twice and some other big events) but the thread topic is about “nobody watches MMA anymore” and I think that’s pretty clearly not the case. I think the sport is doing very well as a whole, but it no longer captures as much of someone’s attention as it once did…less people are obsessed, but I I think more people are watching.

Rick,

Don’t be misled.What Endeavor has started doing is announcing worldwide buys now instead of just domestic to make themselves look better.