Reasons why nobody watches MMA anymore?

Jon Jones refusing to fight Chael to save a PPV was a big moment.

Never forget UFC 151

1 Like

Other things like the banning of sponsors and forcing fighters to wear those hideous reebok kits…it just sucked the individuality out of each fighter a bit.

I’m sure there’s still some good fights, but my overall interest in MMA has tanked from what it used to be.

I have every UFC from UFC 40 to around 200 or so burned on DVD. The last PPV i ordered was like last year sometime. I seriously only get like 1 or maybe 2 a year now. The rest i just wait for the highlights because i don’t care enough about any of these guys to spend the money on it.

2 Likes

Thank Allen Goes and other pieces of shit for SELLING black belts for mat time instead of skill.

That’s what happens when there’s so many mid/low level/boring events at the apex (in between the good cards). People say ‘why tune in to the next card’ even though it ends up being amazing when the last three in a row before that are all lackluster.

2 Likes

Nobody is invested in fighters like they used to be.

TUF was great for telling stories and getting people excited to watch fights.

Remember Chris Leben fighting? That was an example of that.

3 Likes

I’ll watch the original 3 or 4 seasons of TUF every few years.

its still good tv imo.

For me, watching since 1995, all the big names are pretty much gone. Not into much of the new crop of fighters. Dont know 80% of them even.

2 Likes

Not even remotely true. I still have my current favorite fighters who I’ll simply never miss watching live

Petr Yan
Colby Covington
Nate Diaz
Izzy

Etc.

I like the top guys too but Im more into fighters style and aggression levels.

they could lose every fight they have if I find it entertaining and I’ll still tune in for the next one.

Yeah

They don’t need to. Both are set. Stipe earns loads as a fireman…Jon does Jon Jones stuff, he doesn’t need money tho.

1 Like

All of this.

Been watching since 1997 and never have UFC events felt less significant. When I want to feel a bit of a charge, I watch an early UFC event. Completely different feel.

Calling most UFC events “watered down,” doesn’t do justice to how bland they are. More like 20,000 leagues under the sea. And it’s not like I’m saaying the Art Davie era was different. Go back and look at the cards 2003 - 2010 and compare to what is offered up now. It’s ridiculous and I question the sanity of people plunking down $80 for most of these PPV events. My expectations for the lesser promotions is much lower, so I don’t mind them as much. Bellator holds too many events too, but there have been a number of times over the past couple years where I watched Bellator live instead of the UFC event, which is saying something.

3 Likes

No one watches because Chael retired!

4 Likes

At least half a dozen of my coworkers regularly watch MMA events.

They’re IT nerds. Some of us used to bet on fights back before the covid bullshit started.

100% agree.

I watched the first 20 events of UFC and Pride during the Covid in March 2020, it was more exciting watching replays than new fights.

1 Like

Oversaturation.

Imagine combining the last couple cards into one super PPV.

Also, get rid of the women’s division for fucks sake. Give them their own org.

2 Likes

i hated chael then

but jon jones made me a reulctant fan

ill never forget the post fight when bones toe was all fucked up. he would be fine talking to joe but when he looked down between questions you could tell he was feeaking out

conclusion

fuck jon jones

1 Like

We get the PPV #s yet?

Cut the roster in half

1 Like

Wasnt last year literally the biggest in UFC history for PPV buys? 2020 was quite strong too iirc. Comparable to their 2016 boom and the peak of the TUF boom around 2009.