Rehydrating without the banned IV fluids

Maybe if you need an IV after making weight your fighting in the wrong weight class?

JuryJiuJitsu - 

Morpheus1976- I thought they were comparable to the Olympics. What's the overall differences from the new UFC program to NCAA?

i think NCAA doesn't do the blood passport and freezing of samples of a 8 year period and retesting.

stanneh - Maybe if you need an IV after making weight your fighting in the wrong weight class?

Wrong.

When you're rehydrating, there's a lot of guys that don't even know how to rehydrate properly, and think they just chug a ton of liquid to quench their thirst, but end up peeing it all out, sometimes even getting sick from chugging it. Sometimes their immune systems are broken down from a grueling camp, they don't feel good and can't drink / eat anything after weigh-ins. There's a lot of possibilites. 

Your body absords an IV like a sponge and makes the process quick, easy and eliminates any negative possibilities like mentioned above. 

My point is, it's not all about the amount of weight you cut, it's just an effective reload regardless of the scenario, to assure your body is back to 100% hydrated. 

I'm all about moving away from IV and fine with it, but that doesn't change my stance on IV's being a great reload source.

JuryJiuJitsu - 
SomeoneToDoYourDirtyWork - If you walk around well over 170 lbs and fight at 155/45, that has always seemed at tad unfair. Imho.

**When I was heavier at 155. I was using past tense, incase you were confused. 

Well, incase YOU were confused. I wasn't talking directly to you like some Q&A or even necessarily about YOU...but, fighters in general. Next time I will be sure to use the phrase "one" when speaking. lol.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2488684/Fighter-taken-out-by-hot-tub/?pc=8

Carne de cavalo é o melhor - Rectal hydration Phone Post 3.0

Pretty sure I saw Bear Grylls do this with bat/bird shit infested water that wasn't drinkable... So, only logical choice? Shove it up your butt.

How about the weight divisions were adjusted 15lb? For instance Lightweight became 170lb, middleweight 190lb etc? Phone Post 3.0

JuryJiuJitsu - 
stanneh - Maybe if you need an IV after making weight your fighting in the wrong weight class?

Wrong.

When you're rehydrating, there's a lot of guys that don't even know how to rehydrate properly, and think they just chug a ton of liquid to quench their thirst, but end up peeing it all out, sometimes even getting sick from chugging it. Sometimes their immune systems are broken down from a grueling camp, they don't feel good and can't drink / eat anything after weigh-ins. There's a lot of possibilites. 

Your body absords an IV like a sponge and makes the process quick, easy and eliminates any negative possibilities like mentioned above. 

My point is, it's not all about the amount of weight you cut, it's just an effective reload regardless of the scenario, to assure your body is back to 100% hydrated. 

I'm all about moving away from IV and fine with it, but that doesn't change my stance on IV's being a great reload source.

All good info.  I've learned some about the IV from reading this thread.  I still would like to see a perfect world where no one cut any weight (or very minimal).   But I also understand it isn't realistic, and someone is always going to take whatever advantage they can -- especially with size.

What do you think of a system simlar to that used in high shcool and collegiate wrestling where you are body fat tested, and then limited to what weight class you can compete in, and how much weight you can cut?  I like that idea, but have no idea how perfect it is, or if it can be cheated or not.

Good post, notsobigmike.  But I think some people might argue your first paragraph.  I'm not saying I totally agree with it, but a lot of ppl say Weidman wins becuase he's so huge at 185, They were saying it about Jon Jones at 205, and now they are saying it about Connor at 145.  I'm not sure they all qualify as "dominating" -- but all are or were champs.  Matt Hughes used to wreck the 170lb division and pretty sure he was fighting at 190-195, many times against guys like Sean Sherk, Carlos Newton, BJ Penn, Sakurai.  In fairness, he did fight GSP, Trigg (who was always much better at 185) and a few other big dudes.  But there was a size advantage for a lot of his fights.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.  AJ at 170 is a great example for not cutting. So is Travis Lutter -- remember he blew a title shot against Silva from not making weight, and he looked like death getting to within 2 lbs of weight.  He didn't perform too great.  Neither did Joe Riggs when he got his title shot against Matt Hughes and missed weight.

I have never actually seen the numbers of Trigg's record broken down by weight class, but I could swear he had a much better record competing at 185 (or catchweights above 170) than he did at at Welterweight.  He left the UFC in 2006 and went on a pretty good run in Hawaii, doing a WW tourny, then moving up to Midleweight and winning the title, only to lose it to Robbie Lawler.  But then he won a few more at 183 / 185 after that, too.

I think it's human nature to want to be the bigger guy in a fight.  But I also think there a good number of guys who actually compete better when they are not cutting weight the day before a fight just to hit a weigh in mark, and then bloat back up.  If they just stay big all the time and fight big, they do better.

ttt for Johny