Respect for submissions

It's "funny" how certain submissions were frowned upon earlier in jiujitsu and are now considered "legit".

Guillotines used to be considered strength moves and leg locks were thought to be cheap. It's good to see that they are getting the respect they deserve as subs that are just as technical as any other.

catch wrestling had it right all along

True dat! Leg locks keep guard players on their toes!

and yet there are still rules against "putting fingers in any orifice".

:(

and yet there are still rules against "putting fingers in any orifice".

It's only illegal if the ref catches it. 

I particularly liked Garcia's chin-pick on Fowler, leading into a mounted guillotine. Wrestling set-up, jiu-jitsu finish.

I was actually suprised at how many leglock attacks were done at the ADCC this year. Leglocks were probably the most attempted submission out of all of them. I mean everyone was doing them.

It seems that when people have trouble passing the guard even the high players go for leglocks to keep the guard plays on there toes just like shin2chin stated.

even tank has been going for leglocks!

"I was actually suprised at how many leglock attacks were done at the ADCC this year. Leglocks were probably the most attempted submission out of all of them. I mean everyone was doing them."

Agreed and you only have to count the number of injuries that happened to back that up. I still hate them due to that but I do see the need for them too. Lots of guys limped off the mat this weekend.

you always need to watch out for the 5 on 2

imo

in the words of rodrigo gracie:

"if i dont use strength and i make you tap its jiu jitsu"

Revolution, I assume you say that because RNC or mounted subs require you to dominate position first (getting the mount or the back) before subbing them? By that argument, subbing someone with an armbar from the guard doesn't show the domination either.

Yeah Ryo Chonan's flying heel hook on Anderson Silva was cheap as fuck.

They are all legit in my opinion. The argument that one is more dominant than another seems a little chippy to me: a basic premise of BJJ is that a smaller, weaker person can submit a physically dominant opponent using techniques like guard submissions and footlocks.

By the same token, if you HAVE to use the armbar from guard/triangle from guard/etc to beat somebody lots of times it's because you can't get a good position.

your reasoning is flawed though.

If you apply the same logic to guard subs as you do to leg locks then submitting someone from the guard all the time just proves you DON'T have the ability to sweep into a dominant position.

Hitting a foot lock is a lot more involved than just falling back into it. You need to cointrol the leg, isolate the leg, destroy your opponents base, protect your own feet/legs and then submit.

Just cuz some people can't defend them doesn't make them cheap.

P.S. I like to sub and sweep from the guard too ;)

Imanari clip for the leglock non-believers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ldw-TFeZqY

Nothing cheap here.

lmao@ "hookers"