Rest In Peace Sean “the cannon” Gannon

Sorry big dude :pray: in the sky.
Not Ur most flattering of pics but we all love U in any form brother

images (16)

2 Likes

RIP

2 Likes

I`m pretty sure that there is a video of this.I think Sean went to Thailand to train if I’m not mistaken.

2 Likes

Thats right crow it was fairly recentish.like 2017-2019 if my memory is right… (that he was in Thailand).
I’ll/ someone msg Mike Swick…

I’m sure he will have some nice stories that will make the UG laugh…

1 Like

What happened to Sean? How old was he?

I always enjoyed his posts, and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

RIP. another forum member gone too soon.

hope he’s knockin out teeth in the afterlife like a boss!

1 Like

damn, RIP Gannon

i loved interacting with him here

that cut of the kimbo fight where the video starts with Gannon just putting in his mouthpiece and walking up to kimbo to start throwing was so iconically badass

5 Likes

Just read the news. So very sad.
R.I.P.

2 Likes

Sounds like a heart attack.

About 50.

RIP

2 Likes

RIP LEGENDS NEVER DIE.

2 Likes

RIP

1 Like

I never got the chance to meet Gannon. I thought he was a very interesting person my loss :frowning: RIP

2 Likes

Monday before last, Sean Gannon suffered a heart attack, and slipped into a coma. In the early hours of Saturday morning, he passed away. Sunday, I had the honor of attending his memorial service, and learned a lot I didn’t know, about Sean Gannon as a boy, as a high school student when he took Quantum Physics at Harvard, as a teen when he discovered his knack for setting mean people vertical, as a college student with one unique packy run, as a battling police cadet.

Me, I got to know Sean when he was a giant. I knew him by ferocious reputation, but first met him properly when he fought for Mass Destruction in the early 2000s. He walked out to the Cops theme, smiling so wide it went from one side of the arena to the other, wearing fight shorts and a ballistic vest, swinging a PR-24. Sean stopped his opponent with a hook to the liver, and I stopped the fight.

My initial reaction was “what the f@$% just happened?”

I went backstage after his fight, kinda fan boyish. Maybe he took some shots in the process, maybe it was an adrenaline dump, maybe he ate a bad hot dog, I dunno, but he went back to the locker room and puked. Then he showered, and went straight to work patrolling the streets of Boston on a Saturday night. Fighting is kind of a big deal. In 28 years, I can’t remember someone going from a win to work in like an hour.

As I got to know Sean better I realized that his immense intellect eclipsed his immense fighting skills. And as I got to know Sean better still, I came to learn his immense desire to serve and to protect that eclipsed everything. Sean Gannon was a gallant, genius, giant the likes of which I will never meet again.

All that said, I cannot say I ever truly knew the man. We’ve all heard the ancient Indian parable of the blind men and an elephant, wherein each man describes something different. Sean Gannon was so large a figure that we each have our own unique, vivid, even profound experiences with the man. But I’m the blind guy, and he’s the true king of the jungle. I saw what I could see, but I lack the depth and breadth to see it all. Maybe that’s true for all of us. But, what I knew, I respected, and I loved.

Damon Runyon covered prizefighters and gangsters and thus was born the term Runyonesque. For me, for the rest of my life, the larger than life, it’s Gannonesque.

23 Likes

Wow… well said would be an understatement.

3 Likes

Sean Gannons posts on here about war and WWII were hidden gems. Those posts you could also see his intellect as Kirik describes.

4 Likes

That was beautiful

3 Likes

That’s a heartfelt eulogy, Kirik. Gannon was obviously a man of strong character and will be missed. RIP

4 Likes

Beautiful…thanks for sharing <3

: ) Cali

1 Like

Trained with him 2005-8 at Sityodtong. Always remember him finding me at the end of the night asking “Any love for the big guy?” asking for a few more rounds before calling it a session.

3 Likes

I remember Sean coaching some guys for the Strelka (mistakenly translated as ‘Arrows’) sand fights in Thailand (organized by Russians). Anyone knows what happenned to that?

1 Like