Rickson Gracie’s memoir ‘Breathe’ spills a lot of tea

Robert “milburn” Drysdale’s book, “opening closed guard”, is a good look at the history of bjj and a good counterpoint to rickson’s book.

2 Likes

I read the Choque books when they came out.
Does this have anything not in those books?

1 Like

A lot of stuff. He interviews people from george gracie and fadda lineage, along with armando wriedt, a red belt under helio, who has zero fucks to give about towing the rener/rorion line. Well worth picking up. I’ve got a Portuguese copy i’ll give to someone who can savy the lingo. I’ve tried to figure it out but it pins me everytime.

4 Likes

Awesome thanks.
Just ordered a copy.

Santana’s hand was seriously injured by that KO punch.

Helio woke up quickly, but Santana was never the same.

Makes you think: who REALLY won that fight…???

3 Likes

Ok cmon… that’s absolutely bullshit.

You guys and your goody rankings that mean so much to you. THERE WAS NO TOP 50 RANKING BACK THEN! And before start to argue yes, Full Contact Fighter had monthly rankings but those were just the thought of the guys doing to magazine. Their rankings were just UFC and no Pride fighters.

1 Like

Santana

i know there was no rankings and if there was Funaki at that stage be lucky to be top 50.Ill give him benefit of doubt hes top 50

1 Like

A guy thinks his father is the baddest man ever and that his brothers can beat anyone in a fight. I’ve known a lot of guys like this.

1 Like

And they’re all full of shit

2 Likes

Okay, I’m going to get my big brother Rickson to beat you up. Now you’re fucked!

1 Like

But to be far to Rickson, that was 41 year old Rickson in there fighting Funaki.

Guys like Khabib and GSP called it quits at 32 for a reason.

5 Likes

It’s also worth noting that Renzo said Rickson was better than he was, and Renzo has wins over 4 UFC champions. 5 if you count Oleg. So clearly he doesn’t think Rickson is a fraud.

1 Like

who has he beaten that would make him clear #1.Royler beat him too May have been BJJ

He was champion of the deepest division in the world at that weight at that time. Just because you don’t know the names of guys in shooto doesn’t mean they weren’t the best in the world at the time.

Who do you think was the best 55’er in the world in 95?

I’ve never heard of him rolling with Royler. Are you confusing him for JJ Machado?

possible I thought he had a match with Royler after Rickson But I think im wrong i just tried to look it up maybe it was Machado Edit I just watched the Machado match he dominated and put Nakai to sleep.Still Rickosn was at least 185 to Nakais 155 makes it an easy fight which it was

1 Like

before the japan open he was 8-1 and your right i dont know any of those names Im a fan hes a warrior but at 5 foot 6 154 he had no chance against Rickson.I was super impressed by his other wins in the Open tourney but they had no submission skills or defence

1 Like

Nakai had more skill and technique than any UFC fighter other than Royce (and possible Shamrock) in the first 3 UFC’s.

Nakai was 2-0 at the time UFC I was held. Oleg Taktarov was 3-0 at the time UFC I was held.

4 Likes

may have had more skill not size Id take Oleg over him fairly easy

3 Likes