Rickson Gracie’s memoir ‘Breathe’ spills a lot of tea

kimura isnt a choke

i guess its a tough call But IMO hed have broken the arm

LOL now that I think about it I’m not sure how many matches he had. I remember some people claiming he was 50-4 in jujutsu, but I can’t find anything on it. But I know for a fact that Royce was choked out by Wallid in Jujutsu but that was after he left the UFC.

I think Royce was 58-1 in BJJ with the loss to Ricardo De La Riva.

He lost to someone else also.

Pasquoal or something close to that.?

I only remember Relson talking about the one loss being the De La Riva match

1 Like

So it seems Royce had many BJJ matches.

From Carlson…

Carlson Gracie: I have nothing against him, the only problem is that he’s going around telling lies, you know what I mean? He goes around saying that his sons are the biggest & best fighters in the world and that they discovered the invincibility. His students lose everything here in Brazil. OK, Royce did well in the U.S. He beat everyone there, but no one knew anything then. Here in Brazil, I’ve never seen Royce win ONE championship. He lost to everyone. He lost to De La Riva, who was so much smaller than him. He tapped out to Paschoal. He’s a good fighter, but never won anything here. He’s not this “phenomenon” that they talk about.

6 Likes

I had never heard of Paschoal but I was just going off of what Relson was talking about. Relson was pretty open about Royce being down the food chain.

2 Likes

To be honest, it almost makes what Royce did more impressive that he wasn’t a BJJ superstar.

But it does make me more confident in my assertion that Funaki would have given him a hell of a scrap

1 Like

There were people out there that Rorion avoided. Oleg for one. He had tournament experience before UFC I.

3 Likes

but so did ken and pat smith. why didn’t rorion avoid them?

1 Like

Lack of grappling experience would be my assumption.

1 Like

ken had some, albeit he wasn’t that sophisticated.

1 Like

In the original broadcast one of the commentators mentions that it isn’t Royce’s first experience with a Shootfighter. I don’t know who else would have been in the GIA tapes that would have qualified as a shootfighter. Yes, Ken’s grappling was still well behind Royce’s plus he’s yoked up so it helps the GIA infomercial.

2 Likes

Royce was most definitely a gamer in those first UFC’s.

1 Like

They made Ken and Pat smith fight each other first round, and Ken competed 2days before in Japan

3 Likes

That is on Ken. He was signed over 40 days prior to UFC I so if he didn’t want to fight multiple times over a short period he could have skipped those fights in Japan.

2 Likes

Ken was on so much stuff back then he could have competed in Pancrase two hours before.

1 Like

For in cagneeto, Dan Severn knew submission holds like the double wrist lock (kimura) and front headlock which could be cranked like a guillotine choke depending on the situation but the whole point is to pin the guy, Severn didn’t know about the guard and fighting off your back, he was on the 85 world team with mark shultz,