Rickson Gracie’s memoir ‘Breathe’ spills a lot of tea

Oh I got contact tracing internet training JUST so I could say I studied epidemiology from Johns Hopkins.

4 Likes

A combination of Sakuri running into a prime Hughes machine that COMPLETELY shut Mach down in every imaginable aspect possible, and commentator Ricco Rodriguez getting Machs dick caught so far down his throat, I never wanted to hear him speak again. Those 2 factors nake thIUs one of my favorite Hughes fights to watch. But Mach was a salty fucker like Menne

1 Like

I think this was more about the greatness of Hughes than a lacking element in Sakurai’s game. He had fought Anderson Silva the whole way, beat Luis Azeredo right after Luis had beat Anderson, SMASHED Frank Trigg, and beat Nakao (who submitted Pat Militech while Pat was still the UFC WW Champion) so getting shut down by Hughes, IMO, just speaks of how great Matt was at that point.

5 Likes

Turd Ferguson:Burt Reynolds voice: “yeah, thats what I said”

You have shown a phenomenal level of ignorance here, lol.

He was a pro wrestler.

He also was a big name in MMA. He put MMA on the map in Japan. He also trained some top fighters of the day (Ken and Frank Shamrock credit him, for instance). Funaki was very extremely respected by many early great fighters. He also had a high number of MMA fights, with some good success.

Just this one post of yours displays that you know not of which you speak.

7 Likes

Yes I meant they weren’t trained like it was an MMA school. They were trained to be pro wrestlers in the hard Japanese style which involved learning some catch. But they didn’t train like a bjj school does for years on end to master the finer points and applications. By the time they were training Ken it was with a pro wrestling focus.
Ken talks about the lack of technique and said he did rear naked chokes just by muscling it and flexing his biceps as hard as possible.

At least that’s what I got from the book and was a new way to look at if for me.

Funaki had nothing to do with MMA. He was a shoot fighter and a pro-wrestler. Nothing more. He was “highly respected” out of professional courtesy.

Many of his “matches” were dubious. I mean who knows which ones were real and which ones were fixed.

Yeah, he helped train Ken Shamrock to become, hold on to your panties, a SHOOTFIGHTER. I’d say he did a damn good job of it.

In the end, Rickson embarrassed Funaki. Deal with it.

no he gasses every fight And always with an excuse

Suzuki wrestled freestyle as a kid and was an Olympic alternate. Trained by Fujiwara and others at New Japan and UWF in catch and kickboxing.

2 Likes

That’s not really fair. He fought minowa and Saku in perfectly legit matches.

His fights with Bas are almost certainly legit too

Oh yeah, Everyone else was working shit but all of bas’s pancrase fights were legit lol.

2 Likes

I think Bas broke Funaki’s nose with a palm strike. He was bleeding profusely. It was that match that made me think Bas was crazy.

1 Like

Shut the fuck up, you stupid tuffer. If you don’t have a fucking clue what you’re talking about, shut the fuck up. A bullet in your head would raise the collective iq here considerably

Go back to yelling at clouds, faggot.

1 Like

Murdered ? Is that what they call it now ?

Sounds like he OD’d.

The toe hold he tapped Bas with was certainly real.

The knees and palm strikes Bas put on him were certainly real

2 Likes

When Ric flair chops a guys chest, he’s definitely doing it for real. Those welts are real. Those “WHOOOOOO’s” are real.

1 Like

IIRC it was Roy Harris who posted here and said that Oleg visited the Torrance academy and asked to grapple Royce (don’t think it was NHB, just subs). This was prior to UFC 1. Oleg caught Royce in an achilles lock and yanked on it, with Royce holding on for ages and eventually escaping. When he came in to the academy the next day, his leg/foot was black from the hold. Oleg then asked Rorion if he could compete in UFC 1 and Rorion didn’t get back to him.

2 Likes

I knew some of the students in Salt Lake and one of them said that Oleg came there to grapple as a “tryout” and Pedro Sauer dominated the session. Neither guy submitted the other but Sauer had rear mount and side mount numerous times iirc.

1 Like