Right handed southpaws and vice versa

I find it interesting a lot of fighters use their dominant hand as their lead hand. I have heard this plenty of times from coaches and commentators, but for some reason, besides Miguel Cotto, I can't remember any athletes off the top of my head that compete like this. Can anyone think of any? Phone Post

Nick Diaz

According to Freddie Roach anyway.

Chad Dawson
de la hoya
victor ortiz

lots more

I believe Anderson SIlva is a right handed southpaw but I'm not 100%.

Really? Diaz? Looks pretty naty at southpaw. Impressive. And no way was mike Tyson a lefty.... Unless he was lol. Phone Post

I am left hand dominant and fight orthodox, just more comfortable for me and I am always looking to catch people with the hook. My left leg is also my strong leg so for wrestling orthodox works best for me AND my kicks are best with my right leg... I'm all fucked up but on paper orthodox works best for MMA Phone Post

fighters who are left handed but fight orthodox: Oscar DLH, Miguel Cotto, Barrera, James J Corbett, Gerry Cooney, Mikkel Kessler, Carmen Basilio, Michael Bisping and possibly Kevin Randleman

fighters who are right handed but fight orthodox: Anderson Silva, Nick Diaz, Rich Franklin, Chad Dawson, Michael Moorer, Robbie Lawler, Kid Yamamoto

DiazMadeMe BJTheWelshman - I'm right handed but sometimes use my left hand to masterbate. Phone Post

does that make you a black belt in not getting pussy? jk btw.

im pretty sure daley fights strong hand forward...

a lot of times you can tell what someones strong hand is by watching them finish or try to pound out their opponents... theyll shift their weight and just wail with their strong hand.

Many wrestlers fight out of the south paw stance simply because they are more comfortable in that stance due to their wrestling, (myself included).  Gives you a powerful jab or hook and works nicely into your level change and penetration shot.  

Jons Forsberg - Lyoto Machida is another right handed south paw.

Yup I was gonna list him ... its common for karate guys to do this. When training they actually devote a little more time to their weaker side to level out their game. A lot of fighters would benifit from this.

When my original karate instructor was kickboxing he would actually try for the knock out with a different hand or foot than he used in the last bout.

Really? His best punch is his left straight, usually when you see strong side forward fighters, they have a great jab and hook but their back arm is lacking

My uncle alway did karate like that so Phone Post

Jons Forsberg - 
Gokudamus stole my name - 

Really? His best punch is his left straight, usually when you see strong side forward fighters, they have a great jab and hook but their back arm is lacking

well he writes with his right hand, but also think his left side is his best at striking.

Good karate guys will work for years to make sure they overcompensate their weak hand or foot so its as natural to them as their strong side.

Jons Forsberg -
Gokudamus stole my name - 

well he writes with his right hand, but also think his left side is his best at striking.

http://mmastreamed.com/wp-content/uploads/mvbthumbs/img_75254_lyoto-machida-private-signing-with-west-coast-authentic-at-ufc140.jpg

I'm a natural stances fighter but when I switch to southpaw me left high kick and left hand look pretty natural Phone Post

silly me, i always assumed diaz was left handed. woops. same with ando.

Not sure about BJJ guys but its usually standard in judo and wrestling to be right handed "south paw" stanced, strong grip hand forward.

Im guessing the majority learn to stand orthodox for MMA/striking?

Wasa-B - Not sure about BJJ guys but its usually standard in judo and wrestling to be right handed "south paw" stanced, strong grip hand forward.

Im guessing the majority learn to stand orthodox for MMA/striking?

Pretty much. Started judo at 7. Dominant hand forward is how i always fought.

Tried to "fix" it at my last regular gym. My left jab still sucks but otherwise im fairly comfortable switching up when i need to. I liked to start orthodox & then switch to south paw as time went on.

But judo is why i came up like that. Phone Post

I'm right handed,but find it much more comfortable going southpaw, it feels like I have 2 power hands. Phone Post

I heard Joe Riggs say he right handed, but his dad thought it would be more beneficial to learn to fight southpaw.