RIP Bruce Marshall

New England combat sports pioneer Bruce Marshall died early in the morning of Tuesday, April 27, 2021, during recovery from open-heart surgery. He was 74 years old.

The first time I ever saw Marshall was in the mid-70s at a karate event in Boston. A black belt under the legendary George Pesare, Marshall was a badass in full. And as martial arts evolved, Bruce Marshall was always on the tip of the spear.

He was a champion in karate, and when kickboxing became the Kick of the 80s, Marshall was there as an international competitor, coach, and promoter. When MMA became a thing, Marshall, no longer a young man, became the promoter of Combat Zone, starting in 2003.

Everyone - every single person - in the early days of New England MMA went through Club Lido in Revere, Mass, among other CZ venues. Fighters who would go on from Combat Zone to fight in the UFC include Mike Brown, Marcus Davis, Drew Fickett, Kenny Florian, Sean Gannon, Josh Grispi, John Howard, Calvin Kattar, Dany Lauzon, Joe Lauzon, Mike Massenzio, Tamdan McCrory, Phillipe Nover, Parker Porter, Keith Rockel, Aljamain Sterling, and Nick Thompson, among others. I’ve left out some names, I’m sure, and apologize. As far as top New England fighters then who would go on to TUF, Bellator, and other international events, it’s basically all of them. UFC refs Kevin McDonald and Steve Rita got their start there, too.

In 2004 UFC president Dana White went to CZ 7 to scout Drew Fickett, who split decisioned a guy named Kenny Florian. White liked “KenFlo” too, and offered him a spot on a debuting reality series called The Ultimate Fighter. Florian ended up coming in second in the TUF 1 middleweight tournament, losing only to Diego Sanchez, and eventually challenged for the lightweight (twice) and featherweight belts.

Combat Zone was acquired by Dave George and eventually sold to UFC featherweight Calvin Kattar, who had his very first fight in the promotion, and now carries on an incredible legacy of 74 events, and going strong. The legend lives on.

Marshall was a Vietnam-era veteran, enlisting at 17, and serving his nation aboard the aircraft carrier USS America. Ever a warrior, Bruce referred to it as a “Kiddie Cruise.”

Bruce is survived by his wife Lucinda (Cindy) Marafino Marshall and son Marley. My heart goes out to them in this time of great loss.

His remains are presently in a funeral home in Campton, New Hampshire. Cremation is planned; he will be laid to rest alongside his mother’s ashes in Hamilton, on the North Shore of Massachusetts. Further details will be provided as they become available.

In addition to his vast contributions to MMA in New England, Marshall mentored generations of students at Bruce Marshall’s Kenpo Karate, whose lives were immeasurably improved by his ferocious but loving teaching. Think Mr. Miyagi, with an accent from The Departed, crossed with a rock star. Bruce Marshall was, truly, one of a kind, and lots of the toughest guys I know are broken-hearted right now, exchanging stories about the man. We will forever.

8 Likes

RIP
He’s headkicking angels now

1 Like

Damn, not the news I wanted to read today. RIP Bruce.

1 Like

Bruce was a really good dude. Definitely an OG in New England MMA scene.

RIP

1 Like
  • On a SideNote: Nothing will ever replace Club Lido and their Brazilian waitresses.
3 Likes

THIS. Used to love going to shows there. MANY yrs ago. I was piss drunk at a Combat Zone show and was hitting on a waitress. Seemed like 1/2 of Everett and Chelsea showed up to kick my ass. Lol.
Good times. Still have a few CN posters in my basement.

2 Likes

Those early days of MMA at the Wonderland Dog Track and Club Lido were something special. I know its cliche but the young folks today will never know what it was like before social media and state commissions. Bruce really loved putting on shows and lost money many times. But if he had a date, the ring was set up and the show went on. Rest in peace brother!

4 Likes

RIP

Did this site use to be New England Submission Fighting?

I believe so.

There has to be a chance.
Look at the old contact information.

New England Submission Fighting
460 West St.
Amherst MA 01002
US and Canada call toll free: 1-800-331-6898
Florida residents and international callers dial: 407-886-9121 info@mixedmartialarts.com

Amen

That’s still my gym name. Original url was submissionfighting.com, but my more than one of mom’s friends was like wtf, so I changed it to mixedmartialarts.com, then MMA.tv, then back to mixedmartialarts.com.

Originally it was an aol page in 96 or so called The Art of NHB Fighting.

2 Likes

It`s too bad that you cannot go back with the Way Back Machine for submissionfighting.com.Some members will never know.

1 Like

I never fought for Bruce but did fight at the Lido a couple of times. He was a giant force in Massachusetts MMA and he will be missed by many.

RIP he was a huge pioneer.

RIP :frowning:

RIP

1 Like

RIP a true pioneer

1 Like

RIP Crazy Bruce Marshall

6 Likes