RIP Don Banville

RIP Don Banville, early MMA pioneer in New England. IIRC, Joe Lauzon comes from his lineage - Banville > Pomfret > Lauzon.

I'm going to edit in a bit of a eulogy here by those that trained with him and knew him best.

"Donnie was so far ahead of his time. First real set of mats I bought was from Donnie, and he showed us leg locks way back in the day. He trained it feels like half or more of the early guys in NE." - Kirik

"JBA changed the way that sub grap/BJJ was played in the northeast. He also coached numerous people early in their MMA/NHB careers. Just off the top of my head I can think of Dan Simmler, Joe Pomfret, Joe Nye, Bill Mahoney, Joe Lauzon, Scott Oliver, Scott Mederous. The names can go on and on." - Matt Santos

"Don with Renzo" - Jason

RIP Phone Post

Rip Doug Phone Post

mixedmartialmike - Rip Doug Phone Post

Don. Phone Post

RIP

RIP. Phone Post

WHAT?!

RIP

RIP for the true pioneer of New England MMA. Such a shame that such a good guy had to deal with such awful demons. Thank you for what you started and accomplished. I am priviledged to have known you.

Kevin "the Ref" MacDonald

RIP. This is extremely sad.

I've been out of the loop for a while. This is depressing. ICON. :( 

RIP. Don was the first person to show me a leg lock. He still is the best leg lock guy I ever met. He was a pioneer in the MMA scene in MA. Phone Post

RIP

RIP :( Phone Post

RIP. Don was amazing.

So sad.

Donnie was so far ahead of his time. First real set of mats I bought was from Donnie, and he showed us leg locks way back in the day. He trained it feels like half or more of the early guys in NE.

Very sorry to hear this . One of the first grappling tournaments I attended was at his school in the old mill building in fall river.

RIP Phone Post

This is a sad day for New England MMA , Don was a pioneer and more importantly a friend he will be sadly missed but his legend will live on everytime one of his guys steps on a mat ... Rest Easy Don

RIP.