RIP Jeremy Williams, 1 year later

Never knew him personally but remember seeing him at grappling events. Can't believe it has been a year. RIP.

He was a great guy judging from the little bit of time I spent training under him. I started at his school about a month before this happened. He seemed to really want to help those around him get better. I wear his memorial shirt and the NO GI Apex shirts all the time. He had a wicked triangle choke!

RIP

RIP

Nice post Apple, gone but not forgotten! Jeremy had so many people that cared about him (as was exhibited at his service). You guys are loving and thoughtful group when you aren't beating on each other. I hope his family is doing well and it is good to know that hundreds of people can share the goodness of Jeremy's heart to his daughters when the time is appropriate. Sincerely, Fred

RIP Jeremy.

He was an amazing person who always had a smile for you.  Best wishes to his family.

I never had the chance to meet Jeremy, but I know his parents. Great people!!! Keep them in your prayers UG! RIP

FredruM - Nice post Apple, gone but not forgotten! Jeremy had so many people that cared about him (as was exhibited at his service). You guys are loving and thoughtful group when you aren't beating on each other. I hope his family is doing well and it is good to know that hundreds of people can share the goodness of Jeremy's heart to his daughters when the time is appropriate. Sincerely, Fred

FredruM was the Baddest Paulbearer too !

There's a nice article on Jeremy in this weeks OC Weekly too.

RIP

RIP Jeremy

RIP
how did he die?

Can't believe it has been a year.

RIP

In Jeremy's memory, I re-post the following:

Tragic news about Jeremy Williams (IFL Condors). Looking at his life from the outside, it is easy to see that he had many friends who cared about him, a family, incredible talent, and a successul pro fighting career that most could only dream of. It can be difficult for some people to understand how anyone could feel so hopeless that he thinks taking his own life is the best (or only) way to end his psychological pain. I'm a psychologist by training, but I don't pretend to have any special insight into Jeremy's personal struggle. 

I do know, though, that in the US, someone commits suicide about every 16.2 minutes. Another half million attempt suicide each year. While most people will experience a period of sadness or depression at some point in their lives, about one in five will have a severe "clinical" depression. That means depression will touch everyone's life in some way. It is not a weakness of will. It is a serious health condition. There is good reason to be hopeful, however. Whether or not there is a "cure", depression is very treatable. Therapy helps many people. A new generation of medications are very effective and have far fewer side effects than the early antidepressants. They are non-addictive and typically do not cause people to feel "out of it," just "normal." Reach out if you think someone you care about may be struggling with depression. If you are worried they may be thinking about hurting themselves, it's OK to ask and to express your concern. You won't "put the idea in their head." 

Mental Health America (he country's leading nonprofit dedicated to helping ALL people live mentally healthier lives) offers the following information: 

Warning Signs of Someone Considering Suicide 

Any one of these symptoms does not necessarily mean the person is suicidal, but several of these symptoms may signal a need for help:

• Verbal suicide threats such as, "You'd be better off without me." or "Maybe I won't be around" • Expressions of hopelessness and helplessness 

• Previous suicide attempts 

• Daring or risk-taking behavior 

• Personality changes 

• Depression 

• Giving away prized possessions 

• Lack of interest in future plans 

Remember: Eight out of ten suicidal persons give some sign of their intentions. People who talk about suicide, threaten to commit suicide, or call suicide crisis centers are 30 times more likely than average to kill themselves. 

What To Do If You Think Someone Is Suicidal 

• Trust your instincts that the person may be in trouble 

• Talk with the person about your concerns. Communication needs to include LISTENING 

• Ask direct questions without being judgmental. Determine if the person has a specific plan to carry out the suicide. The more detailed the plan, the greater the risk 

• Get professional help, even if the person resists 

• Do not leave the person alone 

• Do not swear to secrecy 

• Do not act shocked or judgmental 

• Do not counsel the person yourself You can find more information about suicide by clicking HERE -

Randy Borum 

RIP

Thanks to everyone here on the UG who assisted with and supported the artilce on depression in the lives of fighters, which appeared in Fighters Only Magazine ("Even Fighters Get the Blues"). The editors of FOM have posted the full text of that article on their website, along with information about how to donate to the fund established for Jeremy Williams' family .

Click HERE to read the Article 

With greatest respect and thanks,

Randy Borum

http://combatsportpsychology.blogspot.com 

rip

Sad he couldn't find hapiness or peace.

blessings

http://www.ocweekly.com/

RIP.