Robert Whittaker vs Rich Franklin

Prime for prime, who do you think wins this fight? I think it’s about a 50/50 chance, perhaps I would give Rich a slight advantage.

Rich

ace ventura help GIF

13 Likes

I’m taking Robert. If you can’t wrestle him and you have no reach advantage you’re kinda fucked.

2 Likes

Love rich but rob all day by whatever he wants.

13 Likes

Rich only lost to really, really bad ass guys.

This would be a close fight.

3 Likes

Rich fucks him up. He is the better fighter, fought better competition, is more durable, and had 1 punch knock you unconscious power. He also had cardio and a better ground game. He was also a very physical fighter sho wasn’t afraid to take risk.

Rich was a complete fighter and is probably #2 behind Silva in the history of the division.

7 Likes

MMA has evolved. Put Rich Franklins skills from 2005 against Rob Whittaker now and it would be a massacre. Rich probably loses to most in the current top 15. His skills are obsolete

16 Likes

I think every sentence in this post is wrong.

17 Likes

I am one of the biggest opponents of the “evolution” narrative. I think prime BJ Penn beats most LWs. I think outside of Gane and Francis, HW in 2005 was better than it is today. I think prime Sak beats most 185 pounders. I think Prime Randy is top-5 at HW today and top-3 at 205.

But, neither Franklin nor Chuck’s games hold up too well IMO. Go back and watch Rich’s fights. It just doesn’t stand the test of time.

4 Likes

Agree to disagree. The sport is constantly evolving and I believe BJ would have trouble making the top 15 at lightweight right now.

1 Like

How dare you. Marinovich brothers Penn was unstoppable.

2 Likes

One punch KO power:

5 Likes

There is a big difference in the way guys hold there hands now as to when rich was on top.

1 Like

Franklin is too big for Whittaker.

1 Like

I think the whole “MMA has evolved” narrative is mostly just propaganda to keep you interested and invested in new guys. It’s promotion, pure and simple. Fans need to know that the current generation is better than the last, so there’s a reason to stay tuned.

What exactly about a jab, cross, hook, and uppercut have evolved since 15 years ago that would leave Rich Franklin at such a disadvantage? I watched Adesanya vs. Whittaker; the latter’s takedowns aren’t so advanced that Franklin hasn’t seen it a million times out of his training partners from back then. You could maybe say jiu-jitsu set-ups have evolved but Whittaker isn’t making a habit of throwing out Imanari rolls into heel hooks.

No disrespect to Robert, who certainly has a good shot against a prime Franklin, but he’s not better than him simply because he’s newer.

8 Likes

Fuck the evolution. I’m going with Rich.

3 Likes

Rich/Robert (similar and previous MW champions prior to their losses to

Anderson/Adesanya (also similar styles that took the belts from the other 2 similar guys

15E43A6F-3941-471A-BF4A81AECDC8C8AA

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl:

8a4b7e66c9e6d117303702ba40d6bbcd

L

5 Likes

No way. Machida was better. Ask me how I know.

Hendo was better. Ask me how I know.