Rockhold's MCL Tear Was Actually a Sprain

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/6/3/11856616/csac-calls-luke-rockholds-bluff-confirms-his-mcl-tear-is-just-a-sprain

Saturday's (June 4, 2016) UFC 199 main event between current Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) Middleweight champion Luke Rockhold and Michael Bisping will go on as planned.

As if the event needed anymore turmoil regarding injuries after Chris Weidman originally pulled out due to a neck injury, Rockhold revealed to Bisping during Thursday's press conference that he had suffered a blown MCL and will still defend his title. While many people didn't doubt Rockhold's claim, the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) took things one step further by confirming the severity of the champ's self-proclaimed injury.

"As soon as the press conference is over, the California State Athletic Commission calls and says, 'The fight's off, this guy says his knee is blown out,'" said UFC president Dana White in a recent interview with ESPN's Sports Nation. "It ends up, he sprained his knee 12 weeks ago. So, I don't know what the upside for him was in saying that. I think he was just trying to, you know, they were going at it [at the news conference], and he said, 'You know what? I think so little of you, I actually blew my MCL and I will crawl into the Octagon and beat you.' It backfired, because the California commission was ready to pull the fight."

Bullet dodged. Seeing a second main event participant get pulled, let alone the 185-pound champion himself, would have essentially rendered UFC 199 a bona fide FOX card with UFC Bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz vs Urijah Faber serving as the headliner. There is nothing wrong with the Cruz vs Faber trilogy fight, but the entire purpose of the pay-per-view event is to see if Rockhold can begin to defend his title in fashion.

In hindsight, Rockhold probably shouldn't have said anything. It makes Bisping's claim that Rockhold was creating an insurance plan in case he loses look like a fat slab of truth.

A sprained MCL is a partial tear. Phone Post 3.0

No one, not the media, not the UFC, not the commission, paid attention to the fact that, about six weeks ago Rockhold posted on Instagram that he'd torn his MCL. People only heard him when he repeated it at the presser.

And yeah, strains just include any type of tear that isn't completely torn off the bone

Elias Cepeda -

No one, not the media, not the UFC, not the commission, paid attention to the fact that, about six weeks ago Rockhold posted on Instagram that he'd torn his MCL. People only heard him when he repeated it at the presser.

And yeah, strains just include any type of tear that isn't completely torn off the bone

Sprain. Strain refers to damage of contractile tissue.
CSAC makes it sound like a grade 1 which has minuscule fiber tearing and if it were three months ago it is unlikely that it is affecting him at this point, though it would've affected his training some.
Rockhold certainly played it up the other day. Wasn't the smartest thing to do. Phone Post 3.0

he's gonna get Bispingoed

Might be just trying to use some mind games. He probably comes out the gate throwing heavy kicks. It's his best weapon vs Bisping and they both know it.