Rogan’s Accused of Stealing Material in latest Comedy Special from ... Brendan Schaub?!?

5 Likes

Joe Rogan’s latest Netflix stand up special “Burn The Boats” is making headlines. Mostly negative ones, admittedly, but the longtime UFC color commentator and podcasting superstar is no stranger to bad press. His career has survived numerous controversies and “political hit jobs” without really slowing down in the least, but this latest possible discovery could be the bombshell that changes everything.

YouTube channel The Elephant Grave posted an extensive 36-minute breakdown of “Burn The Boats” that was filled with criticisms. Most notably, Rogan is accused of reusing jokes and borrowing material from other comics. The latter is a serious accusation, particularly given how Rogan gained popularity by calling out Carlos Mencia for stealing jokes nearly two decades ago.

Then, there’s the simple matter of who Rogan is allegedly looking to for material: Brendan Schaub! Schaub rose to podcast and comedy semi-stardom via The Joe Rogan Experience, including the famous “I think you’d be surprised” moment, in which Rogan told Schaub he wasn’t good enough to beat the best at Heavyweight. Conversely, Schaub might be good enough at comedy to inspire Rogan if these allegations are accurate.

Responses to the joke stealing accusations are mixed. On one hand, it feels unlikely that Joe Rogan has never seen Brendan Schaub’s comedy material, seeing as Rogan is the man who helped guide him into comedy. Simultaneously, hypotheticals about being gay and some bad accent work are not exactly unbroken ground in comedy.

If Rogan or Schaub respond to these accusations, expect a follow up. Otherwise, it’s likely to remain in the court of public opinion.

2 Likes

The YouTube video has more laughs than the “live comedy special”

2 Likes

Rogan definitely did not steal jokes because if he used jokes from other people then he would actually be funny.

7 Likes

bah edit

It’s like Schaub is one of Joes jokes that went on for too long

6 Likes

Hilarious twist

If you have to steal from schaub, how good is that material?

If doing a Chinese speaking Engrish impression is stearing, I have also been stearing from Brendan Schaub… for 3 decades!

3 Likes

I hate Rogan’s comedy but this video is straight trash. Just the typical hipster douche take liked by similar hipster douchebags.

2 Likes

Brilliant MMA commentator.
Poor stand up comedian (although better than Schaub of course).

…in my view.

Watch the special, Shaub’s it’s easier to be a gay guy joke was stolen and when no one laughs at a joke he says I was host of fear factor, no big deal it’s weird to put out

Seems like all comedians get accused of this

Half way through the video in the article they play the audio of both and Shaubs is years before Rogan, how about listening to it before commenting that it didn’t happen?

the youtube vid is quite convincing.

i’m wondering if this was an ongoing joke with those guys jabber amongst themselves and it’s been so long that Joe wrote it as material and either forgot or didn’t realize Brandon had already used it years earlier.

either way, not a good look.

Eh, I wouldn’t call it stolen material. They both just used a super hack premise thats been done 1000 times. Its basically using a street joke on a Netflix special which is worse than a stolen joke since parallel thinking happens all the time.

I’ve liked all Joes comedy specials.

He’s no Theo Von, but I liked them all generally.

Schaub is like kryptonite to funny.