Rory MacDonald in denial? The Canadian Controversy

Schmash - 
SleepBomb -  lol, who the fuck has rory beat besides a nate diaz who should not have been at WW?
He was pretty close to beating Condit, who is the interim champ! Phone Post

........and when he almost beat him I am pretty sure he was still the youngest fighter in the UFC at the time, 20 years old. This was an incredibly ignorant post actually. Made yourself sound as though you just crawled out from under a rock. Did a sleep bomb go off nearby and you just woke up? Try actually watching some of the kid's fights.

Ask Condit how that front kick felt. I thought it was over for sure. Weird moment. Phone Post

If gsp doesn't want rory to challenge him then he should pay off rory with his champion money. Phone Post

sgotwalks - 
Schmash - 
SleepBomb -  lol, who the fuck has rory beat besides a nate diaz who should not have been at WW?
He was pretty close to beating Condit, who is the interim champ! Phone Post

........and when he almost beat him I am pretty sure he was still the youngest fighter in the UFC at the time, 20 years old. This was an incredibly ignorant post actually. Made yourself sound as though you just crawled out from under a rock. Did a sleep bomb go off nearby and you just woke up? Try actually watching some of the kid's fights.

I have watched every ufc for too many years now. i have seen every one of his fights in the ufc that was televised.

now, do you not understand my question or do you not have an answer, and please don't be stupid

Who has Rory beaten that is good at WW? now, notice i say beaten, not almost beaten. Do you think you can take your head out of your ass long enough to answer the question?

StayRad - 
Arecsa - GSP will not move up until Anderson is gone.
Gsp shouldn't ever move up, he had never had a problem making weight and not had a very hard fight in a long time. It's got nothing to do with Anderson Phone Post

Come on. Back in 2008 and 2009 GSP said multiple times that one of his biggest goals in MMA was to move up and also be the MW champion. He has already solidified himself as the GOAT at WW.....

UGCTT_LnPninja - 
StayRad - 
Gsp shouldn't ever move up, he had never had a problem making weight and not had a very hard fight in a long time. It's got nothing to do with Anderson

Come on. Back in 2008 and 2009 GSP said multiple times that one of his biggest goals in MMA was to move up and also be the MW champion. He has already solidified himself as the GOAT at WW.....

Maybe he's had a change of plans? It seems like neither the 170 or 185 champs want anything to do with moving up anymore, oh well.

You're a bad troll 1911Bob

You need to try harder.

lockon - 
UGCTT_LnPninja - 
StayRad - 
Gsp shouldn't ever move up, he had never had a problem making weight and not had a very hard fight in a long time. It's got nothing to do with Anderson

Maybe he's had a change of plans? It seems like neither the 170 or 185 champs want anything to do with moving up anymore, oh well.

Anderson never wanted the belt at 205 though. He has always remained consistent in that.

Recently he and Dana have both hinted that they are open to superfights outside 185, he just won't fight Jones for the title.

^

Okay. So you're going to hold GSP to a quote from 2008-09 in which he had more ambitious goals than Anderson ever had? With Condit, Hendricks, Diaz, and Kampmann lined up as future contenders he has his plate full at 170 as it stands. Regardless of his GOAT status at welterweight there's still quite a few fights left for him in the division.

I also personally believe GSP won't move up to MW until Anderson is gone. Although I also don't believe Anderson, hailed as the GOAT by many, should be exempt to criticism for not moving up a division himself and fighting Jones for the title. It's not like Anderson hasn't solidified himself as the GOAT at MW, so why is he still there? He can't catch the same heat GSP does because there's no silly quote from years back claiming he wants to be the 205 champ?

^^^ I guess I don't see it as "some silly quote". GSP got everyone excited back then stating it was the most important goal of his outside of being considered the best ever.

I don't think either of them HAS to move up and face the next champ up. I was just pointing out that GSP sounded confident and eager to do it and fight for the belt. Anderson did it for one off fights at Zuffas request.

They are both living legends, I am just pissed that we never got to see the #1+2 P4P fighters go at it. There may never be another point in MMA history where the clear top 2 P4P fighters are so close in size as they are/were with Anderson/GSP. It's the fan in me who is frustrated. I understand 100% why GSP should stay at WW.He just got my damn hopes up...lol

Understood. I do believe Anderson is a key reason in GSP's stalling to move up to 185. I've read the number of articles in the past year or two in which he claims he needs time to put on mass, despite there being maybe a 7-9 pound difference in GSP's fight night weight @ 170 compared to Anderson's @ 185. Then again, I also believe Anderson wants no part of Jones either =).

Either way it's definitely a dream fight and I'd love to see it even now or in the future, but I also sure as hell wouldn't mind seeing Anderson fight Jones, which I personally feel is a more compelling match up.

Yeah I love both match ups for different reasons. Actually kinda the same reasons. I don't think either Jones or GSP would want anything to do with Anderson on the feet. Both pose interesting skillsets to try adn get Anderson down. Both, I think, are capable of getting Anderson down.

Shit in a perfect world Anderson would smash Sonnen, then take on GSP and Jones then retire regardless of outcomes of both fights.

If he won all 3 there may never be anyone that could live up to that.

Sadly I doubt we will see any of that other than Anderson smashing Sonnen. :-(

From a career standpoint, it really hurts Rory to not fight him. GSP beating Hughes twice is the reason hes a megastar. Rory would miss a chance to take the torch in that way. Imagine if GSP just waited for Hughes to lose the belt to someone else?

Thankfully Erick Silva will make sure it doesnt matter Phone Post

Twenty47 - 
Mit - Well I honestly want to see Dana force Koscheck and Fitch to fight because of all the bellyaching over that so I can't very well say that GSP shouldn't fight McDonald. I think they should if it makes sense...know what I mean?
Some people don't want to punch their fiends in the face. Why is this hard for people to understand? Phone Post

Those people shouldn't become fighters for a living, then make friends with other fighters in their weight class. Any friends made after you become a fighter should be made with the mentality that you may one day have to punch them in the face. When you decide they should be in your wedding party a=or at your child's baptism, invite them with the full understanding that you may have to punch them in the face shortly there after. It's you chosen fucking profession, and friends you make at work shouldn't get in the way of you doing your job.

Here's how it could play out in my mind - GSP comes back and successfully defends his title against Condit then Hendricks... Then moves up to MW and retires Silva.

McDonald will be WW champ one day but I think he's got one more loss in him before he becomes the next GSP. Phone Post

I'd like to see Rory v Franklin or Chael @ 185.

john joe - GSP is super-short compared to Anderson. I cant see him moving up to face Anderson at middle; the size difference between them is enormous

Catch weight has been on the table for a couple years. 

While there is ~4" of height, there is only 1.5" of reach and ~10 pounds in the cage at their current weights. If GSP had 6 months or more to prepare, knowing he didn't have to make 170, he could close the 10 pound gap almost all the way. If they did a catch weight of say 178-180 they would likely have no weight gap. Height is the only major diffference, and GSP fought a few fighters that were taller than he.

Anderson Silva is 6 ft 2 in. with a reach of 77.6 in
Carlos Condit is 6 feet 2 in. with a reach of 77 in.
Please tell me again about the unfair advantage Silva has against GSP, that isn't already threatening him in his own division. Phone Post

It won't happen, from what I've heard through the ol' Toshido grapevine is that Rory has been (or was, he probably has his own place now) living with GSP in that big empty mansion and that they are very good friends. Rory's still very young and has lots of time to polish up his skills before pushing for the title. I think when GSP beats Condit, and then has his fight with Nick that he will move up to MW.