Rousey vs. McMann set for UFC 170 main event

I guarantee Davis fight somebody like Amanda Nunes in Mar/April. Or maybe Dana's new fave Julianna Pena.

garlic jr - 
KingofBJJ - 
The Gumball Kid - 
RONINXOM - 
esque -

Wow. They apparently haven't unlocked the Sarah Mcmann character yet... Phone Post 3.0

Lmao, what a deep division.

As soon as they get a dangerous striker on her, Honda is toast

Well unless the UFC brings in a striker by the names of either Gina or Cyborg, Ronda will continue to win by the basic armbar maneuver.

Either Ronda is that good, or the women just suck at bjj.  I can't say when the last time a male UFC fighter was finished by arm bar.  If it has happened, It is rare.  Guys usually get choked more than anything.  Vitor nearly armbarred Jones, who in turned won by keylock.

Davis is the only legit Black belt in bjj on the roster.

That is why to UFC is scared to book her with Rousey.

Instead they want white belts like McMann and purple belts like Miesha.

Haha. And what happens if Rousey beats McMann, Zingano, and Davis in the next 12-18 months? Who are they protecting her from then? Holm? Nakamoto? Cyborg?

The way I see Sara winning is by negating Ronda's takedowns and keeping it standing. Clinch her against the cage and take her into championship rounds. Deep waters will be Ronda's downfall.

It will be boring, GSP-esque, but it will be a win.

KingofBJJ - 
Kingtony87 - 
KingofBJJ - 
The Gumball Kid - 
RONINXOM - 
esque -

Wow. They apparently haven't unlocked the Sarah Mcmann character yet... Phone Post 3.0

Lmao, what a deep division.

As soon as they get a dangerous striker on her, Honda is toast

Well unless the UFC brings in a striker by the names of either Gina or Cyborg, Ronda will continue to win by the basic armbar maneuver.

Either Ronda is that good, or the women just suck at bjj.  I can't say when the last time a male UFC fighter was finished by arm bar.  If it has happened, It is rare.  Guys usually get choked more than anything.  Vitor nearly armbarred Jones, who in turned won by keylock.

irony being that jim miller won by arm bar tonight. apparently you have a very short memory

Not an irony, since it just proves what I said that it is rare for guys in the UFC to win by armbar.  When was the last one before this?  Hmm?

Thought so.  Take another few lessons and you can be real asshole.

Pettis beating Henderson? I believe that was a big fight, but I could be wrong.

devils advocate - 
Genghis84 - "devils advocate - tin foil hat time"

No tin foil hat needed when it comes to UFC politics. McMann pulled out of a Nov fight, and never uttered a word about it anywhere. Then Zingano starts lobbying for a TUF coaching spot a few days ago. Why do you think that was? Plans obviously changed, and the UFC wasn't waiting for her to be healthy. Zingano will probably get her shot in May/June. Davis will probably fight somebody like Amanda Nunes. Or maybe even new darling Julianna Pena.

ufc is matching best fighters against each other based on the best options available

the horror

I don't have a problem with the match up. In fact I think it should have been the first women's fight in the UFC. Certainly made far more sense than Rousey/Carmouche. And McMann later fighting Gaff.

Matt Phillips - 

The way I see Sara winning is by negating Ronda's takedowns and keeping it standing. Clinch her against the cage and take her into championship rounds. Deep waters will be Ronda's downfall.

What's your prediction? Five round UD?

I found it interesting that Dana was setting up Rousey vs McMann a week prior to the conclusion of the Tate fight. I bet hearing that was the nail in the coffin for Meisha tonight. Phone Post 3.0

damn this is intriguing they're gonna be similar in strength but rousey has way more submission options (now that she's also training with the Gracies) if they stay standing Mcmann will be way more controlled than Meisha so Ronda's striking could work better with the time and space. Ronda's still gonna throw her I think and she'll probably get the armbar sometime in the 3rd.

btw I've really been enjoying Gengis and Garlic's ongoing debates over the last couple days.
btw good call on the background goings on for this fight Gengis.

I LOVE DIAZ (no homo) - damn this is intriguing they're gonna be similar in strength but rousey has way more submission options (now that she's also training with the Gracies) if they stay standing Mcmann will be way more controlled than Meisha so Ronda's striking could work better with the time and space. Ronda's still gonna throw her I think and she'll probably get the armbar sometime in the 3rd.

btw I've really been enjoying Gengis and Garlic's ongoing debates over the last couple days.
btw good call on the background goings on for this fight Gengis.

Thank you. It was as obvious as can be. Zingano and Davis have been lobbying for TUF 20 coaching spots for the past week. These are moves that would have taken them out of commission until next Dec. Meanwhile McMann has been completely silent since she pulled out of her Nov fight. Do the math.

Genghis84 - 
Matt Phillips - 

yes

Matt Phillips - 
Genghis84 - 
Matt Phillips - 

yes

If Ronda beats Sara, how do you think it would be? A 3rd/4th round armbar? Perhaps her first decision?

radiobaby - 
RyannVonDoom -

Sara won't do well and will get subbed.. She was having trouble with akano who's a 125er.. She also lost IMO to shayna but lucked out in the decision. She'll get destroyed.. only way she can win is with a boring decision. 

I hate it, but totally agree. Phone Post 3.0

I agree 100%. McMann could be a legit challenger but she needs to work on her top game more first. She leaves herself open for subs when she is on top and I don't see being able to keep the fight standing to KO Ronda.

I think Ronda would beat her by sub. The obvious choice is armbarm but I think she's probably got a good triangle game too.

*edit*

To clarify, I think she would win by triangle if its a sub, mainly because I think Sara would put herself in a position where Ronda could work high guard and pull one off.

Matt Phillips - 

Ronda didn't look gassed tonight in the 3rd round so I don't think she will gas. Also clinching against the cage is a bad idea IMO. Better to keep distance and punch her.

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
Matt Phillips - 

Ronda didn't look gassed tonight in the 3rd round so I don't think she will gas. Also clinching against the cage is a bad idea IMO. Better to keep distance and punch her.

She also didnt have an extremely high level wrestler all over her.

Well, Tate is very impatient to work on her submissions.

She mounted Ronda in round 1, and couldn't keep her position.

I like McMann chances here. She won't be ragdolled like Tate, and I think she might actually be stronger than Rousey herself.

RONINXOM -
esque -

Lol vtfu Phone Post 3.0

Interesting judo vs wrestling matchup here. will Mcman be able to reverse some of those throws with her wrestling or roll over with them if thrown? But she will have the ground to deal with too, thats why Ronda is not a 1 trick pony. She has the tds and the subs.

"She mounted Ronda in round 1, and couldn't keep her position."

At no point in the fight did this happen. Tate got a good double in R 1 but was in Rhonda's open guard before Rhonda put her in high guard threatening a triangle and punishing her with strikes from the bottom. Rhonda was in her guard for a few seconds later in R1 before Tate disengaged and Rhonda back rolled back to her feet.

So impressed with the fight in Tate, she took a beating standing, in the clinch and on the ground and was in multiple close subs but kept fighting to the end.

Excited for McMann, should be great.

yeah miesha showed heart