Royce Gracie trivia question

crowbar -  Royce was selected,but was Renzo in the United States at the time?

nah, Gracie Barra Rio

Awesome interviews with the Legend...

Anyone remember the interview Royce gave a while back (I believe on the InTheGuard.com website) where he was saying Carlson Gracie fighter were shitty fighters because they had lost matches and basically beneath him cuz he was undefeated.... then when asked why he doesnt get cauliflower ear his response was something like "His greater technique was the reason" (not word for word)....

I remember reading that and was like, wtf?? Royce wouldnt had lasted five minutes against one of the Carlson Gracie fighters (known sport/vale tudo champions)fighting at that time..Bustamante,Sperry,Vitor,Goes,Amuari, all would have torn right through him.
Rickson and Ralph both had some major cauliflower ears going on.

I never understood Royces point of view

UGCTT_RickStorm -  Awesome thread and posts Mr Crowbar...

VTFU
Like a boss! Thanks crowbar Phone Post

Found some more losses among the Gracie family.George Gracie was the brother of Carlos & Helio Gracie.He suffered at least two losses.He lost against Zbysco Waldek by armbar & he also lost against Yassuiti Ono by choke.

FWIW) I found two different spellings for George.George & Jorge.

Train Judo - newsflash, the Gracies lied a lot.

Are you saying that Rickson is not 400-0?

Rickson had a few more seminars.Now he is 471-1  ^^^^

crowbar, wasn't the Zbysco Waldek loss a work and was agreed beforehand with the pro wrestler or did I just make that up?

I hope to see DLR in June, and am training at his in July. So if the opportunity arises, I will ask him. :)

I wouldn`t be the person to ask Poncey,because I have no way of knowing.I just go to these History of BJJ sites & relay the info.

"I've never seen a Jiu-Jitsu like that in my life! I have trained with the toughest guys formed by Carlson Gracie. They were all great and I for sure don't want to diminish anybody, but I have to say that no one ever did to me what Rickson Gracie has done during training these last days." "I have no doubt that Rickson Gracie is the best ground fighter of all time. I bet on him against any athlete of today."
Paulo Filho, MMA Champion and member of the famous Brazilian Top Team.

This thread is way awesome!!

Crowbar, you're the shit!! vote up today goes to you

According to the California State Athletic Commission, the average person could produce about 2 ng/ml of Nandrolone, while an athlete following "rigorous physical exercise" could have a level of around 6 ng/ml. Both "A" and "B" test samples provided by Royce Gracie "had a level of over 50 ng/ml and we were informed that the level itself was so elevated that it would not register on the laboratory's calibrator," said the CSAC.

Those test results cause me to be skeptical.However,I do believe that Royce probably did test positive (especially because he paid the fine)

What is there to be skeptical about? It would be one thing is only the "A" test sample hit this level, but both is a confirmed result for which no appeal of a result over 10 ng/ml has ever been granted by the CSAC (of course, Royce did not appeal).

Nice read. I had Ricardo Almeida up and he was talking about strength and he said you have to use what strength you got. Obviously not crazy spastic but in certain situations you need it. Phone Post

Koga - What is there to be skeptical about? It would be one thing is only the "A" test sample hit this level, but both is a confirmed result for which no appeal of a result over 10 ng/ml has ever been granted by the CSAC (of course, Royce did not appeal).

Skeptical because of the levels that he tested positive for.It was so high,that I suspect that the sample could have been tampered with.Half of 50 would have been so much more believable.

he just laid there and got pounced on against Tom Erickson, showed heart, nothing to do with BJJ being great, he wasnt able to use it

and rickson would mash Loborio, what I witnessed anyway. Seen them both train with top guys, ricksons tech is on another planet, watching both anyway.

Humiata doesnt produce in Brazil is way out control

From an interview around 2002:

Gus: A lot of young athletes are very impressed by NHB events. Some of them may dream to become competitors. What is your advice to them?

Royce: Train hard but do not take steroids.

Royce Gracie Interview 10/22/97
by Mike Ely Interview originally published on The New Full Contact

ME: What happened to Vitor Belfort at UFC 15? Everyone had such high expectations for him.

RG: He did too much steroids.

ME: Too much Steroids?!?

RG: Yeah, milk does your body good but not that good! Guys don't get that big that quickly from eating fruit and drinking milk, especially at 19-20 years old. Steroids will do real good for you in a fight for a real short amount of time, but you saw what happens after a couple of minutes, you get tired and lose. The technique is more important than strength

"and rickson would mash Loborio, what I witnessed anyway. Seen them both train with top guys, ricksons tech is on another planet, watching both anyway."

Thats speculation.....high level blackbelts rave just as much for Liborio as they do for Rickson. Rickson may get him but I doubt it would be easy or would mash him.