Royce is right here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-p7-vOhzlw&feature=player_embedded#     Nice video here by Royce. Some of his terminology could be better expressed, i.e. he uses the word "style" in two very different contexts, one to denote the delivery system, and one to denote the individual style of play with that delivery system. He also uses the term "basics" which implies to some people that there must be such a thing as "advanced" technique, which is a fallacy. But beyond the semantics (and I should add he speaks more languages then I do), he is absolutely right in this video. There are only fundamentals. Those fundamentals don't change, that is the delivery system. Individuals, through Alive training, then develop their own "style". All functional Martial Arts, and sports, work this way. He is also right that all of us who teach BJJ for a living now owe his family some gratitude. I think his points were spot on here.

I was thinking about this today. Even though I preach basic fundamentals myself and hate going down the 'advanced' technique road that leads to TMA faggishness, I asked myself are fundamentals really all there is or do advanced techniques exist? Meaning, things like flying armbars and such. Despite the 'finish' position being the same as a straight armbar from mount, I don't think the technique/movement itself is differentiated only by the skill in setups and level of timing of absolute beginners, the average joe, and the Rickson Gracies out there. The flying armbar isn't taught as a basic fundamental to beginners, or ime, even guys with a year or two of mat time under their belts. Instead, it's something that takes a few years(of mat time) to learn before you can train it safely(not breaking your own head/neck) and/or use it effectively against resistance.

Hi Guys,

Maybe basic and advanced are really "simple and complex". Not that simple is easy or complex is difficult. Just that simple is a component of complex...

Mark

There is no such thing as 'advanced' in a non fantasy based martial art. As for 'complex' the fundamentals of functional delivery systems are not complex, if something is complex, it is likely a set up or series that a particular player uses. As for SBG, that wouldn't be something we would teach.

But aren't there things that you would teach more experienced students rather than beginners?

Nope. With more experienced students, i.e. purple belts, the conversation usually involves strategy, not 'new' techniques. http://aliveness101.blogspot.com/

cool