running for grappling

how do i improve my running for grappling and a 5k marathon?

1. I've been jogging 1 mile then every 100 meters I sprint with slow jogging the other 100 meters to equal 8 laps not counting my 1st mile jog. I need this for my grappling 1x per week

2. i also get run 3 miles every other day and get 24's. and i've been at 24's for longest time with being 23.42 my best (too slow). how can I improve myself for the 5k marathon? my usual 1st mile and a half i pace a 11.30 then my last mile and half get 13. and been like this for 2 months. 2x per week.

Any advice?

4/6+(880)92,K-Y jelly,1967,4x4,e=MCsquared.testing 1,2...

sorry didn't want to make it all confusing but any advice?

go running

"how can I improve myself for the 5k marathon"
run 5K's

5k marathon? Marathon is 26.2 miles. 5k run can be managed well if you are running 20+ miles per week. Sprints and speedwork are good for grappling. Something like this:

monday: 5
wed: 4 miles part of the speedwork like what you posted. easy 100 hard 100.

Fri: 5
Sat: 6 Do some interval work run hard for a minute, than slow down till your breathing is normal and do it again. (6 to 8 times).

Don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% per month. Increase your pace on the runs as you get in shape.

5k Marathon? They have 5k Marathons now? Great news!! I'm now officially a Marathon runner!!

guys give the guy a break.

I found the best thing to do is to find some runing partners, who have experience running Marathons. I run with them 2 times a week and my 5k time improved from 26:11 to 22:19 in no time, my weight is around 220lbs so its not too shabby.

Its like BJJ, if u spend all day rolling with blue belts it will take u a while to imporve, if your rolling with blacks all day you will improve fast.

fhk2

Less harder workouts and more miles. Your problem isn't your speed, it's your endurance. If you're running nearly 8:00 mile pace for a 5k, do a lot more easier miles at 9:30-10:00 mile pace.

run hills or stairs

5k marathon? Marathon is 26.2 miles. 5k run can be managed well if you are running 20+ miles per week. Sprints and speedwork are good for grappling. Something like this:
monday: 5 wed: 4 miles part of the speedwork like what you posted. easy 100 hard 100. Fri: 5 Sat: 6 Do some interval work run hard for a minute, than slow down till your breathing is normal and do it again. (6 to 8 times).

Don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% per month. Increase your pace on the runs as you get in shape

You've been doing well so far. If you find yourself hitting a wall than add more sprints to your run. It's important to vary your slope as well.

Don't bother running, you'll just tap tired.

Running long distances will hurt you more than help you if you are training for competitive grappling or MMA. Hard 100 meter sprints can also hurt you if you are not really ready for speed work which is probably the case for most people.

The best track workouts for MMA/grappling are intervals designed for 400 meter athletes which typically range from 200 meters up to 800 meters.

The important factor that you have to consider are how to properly rest between sets as well as between workout days and to pace and properly peak your training but it would take me all day to break it down.

"Running long distances will hurt you more than help you if you are training for competitive grappling or MMA. Hard 100 meter sprints can also hurt you if you are not really ready for speed work which is probably the case for most people.
The best track workouts for MMA/grappling are intervals designed for 400 meter athletes which typically range from 200 meters up to 800 meters.

The important factor that you have to consider are how to properly rest between sets as well as between workout days and to pace and properly peak your training but it would take me all day to break it down."

Well I'm training for a small local grappling match and like to do a 5K marathon too. Both of these only happens 2 times per year for me so I can try to stay in shape year round. The worst thing is both is about the same time.

1. i understand when you said long runs will hurt my grappling edurance. but how can hard 100m sprints hurt my grappling endurance if i'm not ready for speed work? how should i prepare for speed work?

2. so 200m to 800m track workout is best for grappling endurance? so instead of me sprinting every other 100m i need to change it to either every other 200m to 400m sprints?

3. Yes, tell me how to properly rest between sets & workouts?

4. yes, tell me how to properly pace & properly peak my training

I think i know some of my problems. I tend not to change my workouts and do the samething over and over months at a time. So by you answering #3 would greatly help me.

I also think if i rest properly I think i'm not working out hard enough, so that means i don't rest properly.

Thanks in advance!

1.) A 5k marathon can hurt more than help you because in order to run 5k well you have to run extreme distances repeatedly and it is a lot of wear and tear on your body particularly if you are running on concrete. It's not help for grappling or MMA because they do not move at a marathons pace. Long distance can get you in great overall shape but if you are training competitively you should already be in good overall shape so you want to add something to it that is really going to help you on the mat, mid distance intervals will give you that.

2.) 100 meter sprints can hurt you if you are running them too fast and aren't ready to do so. High level
track athletes who begin their workout season in september/october will likely not do any serious speed training until late april or early may. If you just jump on the track and try to run 100 meter sprints all out at some point you will likely pull a hamstring. I would recommend not running anything shorter than 200 meters and not faster than 85% of your maximum speed.

3.)Resting between sets is something that I think a lot fighters don't do properly. Most think that since there is a minute rest between rounds they should rest 1 minute between sets but is not the case. You want to teach your body to recover as quickly as possible but you can't do that if your body never gets the chance to feel what it is like to recover. So initially you want to begin taking full rest and recovery between your runs. Do this by taking your resting pulse before you run and don't begin your next run until your back at your resting pulse.

Resting between workouts for fighters/grapplers should usually be a day on a day off with lots of stretching on your off days. A typical schedule would

A.)hard intervals Monday
B.)rest Tuesday
C.)Shorter intervals Wednesday
D.)rest Thursaday
E.)hard interval Friday
F.)rest Saturday & Sunday

4.)Pace and Peaking your training is difficult to explain because I depends on what you are training for but you really have to just set your training schedule to peak at the important dates of competition.

This is the ideal approach to running for grappling but it does not account for the training you are doing on the mats in addition to this so you have to structure to fit with everything else you are doing. Also it does not include in plyometric or strength training which is also very important.