S-mount or not for mount armbar?

Question: When should you use the S-mount for the mount armbar?

To be more specific, when you have one knee high up, right to the side of your opponent's head and the other foot posted on the ground next to his hip, what tells you to go to the S-mount and what tells you to skip the S-mount step and go directly to the armbar?

Regards,

jonpall.

You never have to go to S-mount if you don't want to, and there are many things you can do from there other than armbar. It's like saying 'when should you go to the mount to do the armbar instead of going straight to it from side control?' Answer: if you feel like it.

But anyways, a good time to go to the S-mount is when you can get one of his arms away from his side. Let's say you want to get your right leg under his arm, with your foot pointing towards his head. You need his left arm to be away from his side so you can get your leg under his armpit. If you want to, you can force his arm away from his side by underhooking it and crawling your fingers up towards his head. Then grab the S-mount, and apply an elbow press on his left arm. If he reaches up with his right arm to grab his hands together, armbar his right arm. You can see this on the japanese mount attacks video by Erik Paulson on http://www.wffchampionships.com/ in the free members section.

Thanks!

It's also interesting to note that Both Baret Yoshida and Erik Paulson go into the S-mount by first inserting the leg that turns forwards and THEN sliding up the leg that turns backwards (the knee of the latter leg is right next to the head, if you're having problems understanding me).

I usually begin by sliding my knee up and THEN put the other leg under his shoulder (the shoulder of the arm I'm NOT going to armbar).

But since Baret and Erik do it the opposite way that I'm doing it, it might be higher percentage, I don't know. Intewesting...

jonpall - For what it's worth, my entry into this position is in the same sequence as you. Once I slide the knee under the armpit, I find it easier to get my opposite leg pointed towards his head because I can shift my weight onto my knee and use both hands to grip his arm and pull up. Furthermore, with my weight on that side, it's a tad easier to throw my leg OVER his arm and set up the triangle in the event that he resists and/or I have trouble pulling his arm up...

i would say whenever u get the mount always work up high towards the head, thus moving away from their hips and making their bridging less of a danger. If you can take the s mount then great, but like with everything else do not force it, instead attack for a keylock to open up armbars and triangles

Being a light weight (145lbs) I use the S-mount on bigger, stronger opponents. Its hard for them to bump you off, when the weight is on their upper chest and you have your legs wrapped tightly around his/her shoulders. When he/she tries to bump you there's no bump as his hips are taken out of the equation now. And if you position correctly, your weight on his chest makes it hard to be bumped off and can actually make it hard for him to breath. Then take the armbar while holding his pant leg at the knee so he cant roll out of it.

I like the s-mount. Its a great armbar, wristlock, and collar choke triple threat position.

Am I the only one that has no clue what the s-mount is? Is it similar to the position you would be in if you were going for a triangle from the mount???

One of the armbars from the mount techniques on www.subfighter.tv shows the S-mount.

s-mount = shoulder mount
best used when opp is attempting to elbow escape, i like to take the back from here. You get that cobra grip that Rickson used against Funaki, then pull them up off the mat and towards you while you fall to your back and throw your other hook in. In fact, I beleive that is how Rickson got his back to choke him.