scissors takedown in wrestling?

does wrestling have the 'kani-basami' / 'leg-scissors' takedown? Can anyone tell me about it? Is this statement true:

"It has been banned from wrestling too but some wrestlers now substitute the use of an arm for one of their legs and still make it work. It is not as dramatic but it still gets the take down. Its sort
of like backwards tani-otoshi. A leg is across the front of uki like in o-guruma. Tori scoops the back of uke's knee with his opposite arm. In wrestling, the arm on the same side is generally in a whizzer position
(i.e., overhooking uke's closest arm).

thanks,
Charlie

Yes, what your quote says is true. Wrestlers who do use thee "arm and leg" version of the Kani Basami do so as a counter to single leg takedowns.

However the technique is not popular nor used very often.

Is there a video clip of this anywhere? From contest or a demo, I don't care.

Why isn't it a popular counter -- hard to make it work?

kingabiu,

It does seem like it's hard to make it work, for me at least.

thanks mate. I found out a bit more info at The Mat:

'The legal variation you describe is a wizzer cradle or cutback. Still pretty dangerous to hit. In HS, I hit it for -25 points my senior year. In college I worked out the bugs and it was fairly productive even against better opponents. A lot of better guys will limp arm out, but it frees the leg and prevents the takedown at least. Scoring backpoints is possible against lesser guys. Even when hit cleanly, you still have to scramble a bit for the takedown because of where your leg is at.

I also used to use the now illegal on you describe in freestyle. I had a tape of the 1986 NCAA finals and a guy was finishing a signle leg when the opponent put both his hands on the mat and cut the guy backwards with his free leg. That is definitely illegal now in collegiate and even in free now i think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNMW3CIW-1U

I would have always referred to that first TD as a cutback."