Scott Bessac OG MMA/Lion’s Den AMA

I’m pretty sure that Frank left the Lion’s Den because Ken left him in charge of the Den when he went to the WWF & basically told Frank that he would not ever amount to anything.

Frank left with Crazy Bob Cook to AKA where he formed Team Shamrock.Later he got with Maurice & Kohsaka & formed The Alliance.

6 Likes

Frank wanted to prove to Ken that he would be a champion.

5 Likes

When the Lion’s Den broke down,Bob Shamrock created “Shamrock 2000” Members included Kevin Woo,? Val Ignatov,Ron Emerson.

Jens Pulver was also on Shamrock 2000 with Cal Worsham & Steve Heath.Nick & Nate Diaz trained with Shamrock 2000 at the Animal House gym in Lodi,but I am not positive they were ever members.

4 Likes

Frank and Maurice had been friends and sometime training partners long before Frank left the Den. Maurice used to hang with the Den guys in Japan after they all fought in Pancrase events. Then as mentioned Ken brought Maurice in to the Den to teach striking etc. Frank even referred to Maurice as his big brother and credits him with teaching him how to train like a pro fighter. AKA and Crazy Bob came AFTER The Alliance. The Alliance was immediately after Frank left the Den and was mentioned by the commentators of UFC Japan in ‘97 right after Frank left the Den.

3 Likes

The UFC Japan show was in December 1997.We need somebody else to tell us what month Frank left the Lion’s Den.Frank did not stay at AKA for very long.He created Team Shamrock at AKA & then left and got his own gym called USA (Universal Submission Academy)

Pretty sure Team Shamrock came before The Alliance (with Kohsaka)

Can anybody on here chime in?

*I’ll try & contact the Fallen Angel Dominique Robinson to verify.

He was at AKA from around 2000-2005 I think.

1 Like

I called AKA San Jose but Javier is in Las Vegas & got voice mail at AKA Tracy Ca.

i think i may see it here on the right foot

ps: felt gay enough googling “frank shamrock feet”
now i gotta find the ass tattoo!

1 Like

What is that supposed to mean anyway? Gay in prison thing?

Damn,I might be wrong about Team Shamrock being before The Alliance.I seen Crazy Bob Cook fight in 1998 & he was representing the Lion’s Den.

Well this show was in 1998 with Crazy Bob Cook & you can see that I made a mistake about Crazy Bob representing the Lion’s Den.

If you blow the shirt up you will see that it says “Frank Shamrocks Team USA”

The Alliance didn’t last that long if I recall correctly. Maybe 1997-2000, then Frank went to AKA but didn’t rep AKA as a team. It was his own Shamrock Submission Fighting or something like that. He just taught and trained in the AKA gym. He and Crazy Bob.

2 Likes

Like I said,it was Team Shamrock while at AKA.He left and started a gym called Universal Submission Academy (USA) Something happened with the printing on the shirt.It should say Team Shamrock Universal Submission Academy (USA) Meaning that Bob is fighting out of the Universal Submission Academy which was owned by Frank Shamrock that called his team Team Shamrock.

Crazy Bob’s opponent was a Cesar Gracie fighter & that should have said Cesar Gracie Fight Team instead of saying Gracie Fighting Team.

Both Team Shamrock & The Alliance (with Kohsaka) could be before Dec 1997.

I wanna be right darn it!

1 Like

You might not believe me,but trust me,Frank was wearing his Universal Submission Academy shirt at the event.Here we are ringside.

5 Likes

Pete Williams was the referee at the show.You can see the shirt that I bought on my shoulder.Pete’s shirt says referee.

3 Likes

Frank got thrown out of AKA for tracking advantage of the fighters
From what I understand it was a number of things that ranged from trying to manage and not paying what was promised on ji’s events

Josh Thompson was very vocal about Frank stealing from him

2 Likes

I remember that feather tattoo on Frank from when i fought him in “No Rules” with Gary Busey and Pam Anderson!!! He told me he has a lot of Native American heritage

4 Likes

I was set to tryout for Shamrock’s Team USA and that was supposed to be in mid-1999. Blew my ACL out wrestling so it never came to be, plans changed!

3 Likes

I sent a message to Josh Thomson.He hasn’t been on social media since May 2nd.Gotta play the waiting game now.

2 Likes