Scott Bessac OG MMA/Lion’s Den AMA

On the topic of late 90’s/early 2000’s, I think the UG would love to hear more about what your first year in the sport was like. If I remember correctly Coleman brought you right to train with him, Randleman, Hinkle etc… when you had no wrestling and martial arts background at all.

I just can’t imagine that being someone’s first year in combat sports.

2 Likes

I am going on the Lytes Out show soon

I am a little nervous though, I have to make sure that I have my stories in order

That will be addressed

12 Likes

Awesome! Looking forward to that one.

I’m sure you have stories for days but I hope you also mention your Jackknife Powerbomb skills at least once. That was a wild one.

1 Like

The flying drop kick for the late Ryan Bennett is better ^^^

1 Like

Nice I’m not familiar with that one. I was a big fan of Ryan Bennett and really enjoyed his MMAWeekly Internet Radio Show that pre-dated most MMA Podcasts. He was a big loss for us and would have been a big part of the boom that happened right after he died.

Curious about this drop kick now…

I was there and seen it live.

2 Likes

Haha Drop Kick to Triangle!

The most logical entry into that submission

Just checked it out I think he did it to the guy who used to do some cohosting on Chaels Podcast?

I personally couldn’t tell ya because I had never seen the guy before in my life.

Any chance of you telling me where you seen it? I’d like to see it again.

I’m 99% that’s the same guy

It’s on Fight Pass WEC 22

1 Like

Dammit.I can only watch Fight Pass with what they are currently showing.

Pure gold

2 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

Oh shit that’s Joel, 88-92 baby

1 Like

Wish I would’ve done steroids and meth back then growing up I had no idea about him doing so much meth

1 Like

Frank was gone from the Den by the 12/97 Jackson fight. Pretty sure he was gone by the 11/97 Enson fight also.

I know he was with the Den for his 9/97 Rings fight vs TK. IIRC Ken wasnt happy with how Frank and Pete did on that show.

I think in 10/97 Frank had the Contenders grappling match vs Hendo and then also that month fought one of the Gassaway brothers on Guy’s show in Texas. Not sure if Frank was officially with the Den for those two.

5 Likes

Frank was not with the Den for the Contenders show. Him, Tsuyoshi Kosaka, and Maurice Smith were at this show, while Mo was in TK’s corner. I don’t think they were calling themselves the Alliance yet, but that did happen shortly thereafter.

4 Likes

I just have to say…
Guy Mezger was/is a fucking bad motherfucker.
Also smart as a whip.

6 Likes

Frank was looking like a different fighter in the Enson match.

I think the Contenders show was shortly after the split. The promo footage showed Frank training with Mikey and then the split happened and Mikey wasn’t allowed to go with Frank to the event.

2 Likes